How Can I Determine the Bounding Dimensions of a Nonlinear Dynamical System?

In summary, the conversation discusses working on a visualizer for a system with two equations and four parameters. The parameters determine the dimensions of the plot, and the conversation suggests finding a "bounding box" for the plot by using points on the curves with equal slopes to the sides of a trapezoid determined by the four points on the lines x=0, x=2, y=0, y=2 after being mapped by the system. The conversation also recommends reading a book on chaos in discrete dynamical systems for further understanding.
coolnessitself
I'm working on a visualizer of sorts for a system:
[tex]
x_{n+1} = sin(a y_n) - cos(b x_n)[/tex]
[tex]
y_{n+1} = sin(c x_n) - cos(d y_n)
[/tex]
with [tex]a,b,c,d \in [-2.5, 2.5][/tex]
So for whatever initial [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex] I give the system, I know the next iteration will have both x and y between -2 and 2, and that will be true for all n>0.
However, for certain values of a,b,c,d, you could say that all [tex]x_{n>0}[/tex] and [tex]y_{n>0}[/tex] will be within some other, possibly smaller, area. How can I find these dimensions given a,b,c,d?

(I'll use this to scale the area on which the plot is drawn, so for those values of a,b,c,d which result in a small area, the plot will fill the entire space)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Try to express where the four lines x=0, x=2, y=0, y=2 (l1,..,l4) and their four intersections (p1,..,p4) get mapped under your map (M). The four new points (M(p1),...,M(p4)) determine a trapezoid, say T1. You can calculate the slopes of the lines connecting M(p1),...,M(p4).
The images of the lines l1,..,l4 will be curves, but you could try to find points on these curves with slopes equal to those of the sides of the trapezoid. Simply move the sides of T1 out to these new points to create a larger trapezoid. This object might serve as a "bounding box". Since this map is nonlinear, this might not work, though...

You might also want to read the awesome book:
Chaos in discrete dynamical systems
By Ralph Abraham, Laura Gardini, C. Mira

Mathador

Related to How Can I Determine the Bounding Dimensions of a Nonlinear Dynamical System?

What is "Max dimensions of phase space?"

Phase space refers to the space in which the state of a system is represented. The "max dimensions" of phase space refers to the maximum number of independent variables that are needed to fully describe the state of a system.

How is the max dimensions of phase space determined?

The max dimensions of phase space is determined by the number of degrees of freedom in a system. Degrees of freedom refer to the number of variables that can independently change in a system. For example, a system with 3 degrees of freedom would require 3 independent variables to fully describe its state in phase space.

What is the significance of knowing the max dimensions of phase space?

Knowing the max dimensions of phase space is important in understanding the complexity and behavior of a system. It can help scientists determine the number of variables needed to accurately model and predict the behavior of a system.

Can the max dimensions of phase space change?

Yes, the max dimensions of phase space can change depending on the system and its conditions. For example, a system that is in equilibrium may have fewer degrees of freedom and therefore, a lower max dimensions of phase space compared to a system that is changing and evolving.

Are there any limitations to the max dimensions of phase space?

Yes, there are limitations to the max dimensions of phase space. It is limited by the number of degrees of freedom in a system and the ability to accurately measure and describe the state of a system. Additionally, the complexity of a system may make it impossible to fully describe its state in phase space.