Max Height of Rocket A Above Earth's Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum height H at which a rocket, launched vertically upward from the Earth's surface with a mass of m=1.20x10^3 kg and initial speed v0 = 7.00 km/s, will momentarily come to rest before falling back to Earth. The use of energy conservation and the equations (1/2)mv0^2 = mgh and (1/2)mv0^2 - (GMm)/Re = -(GMm)/(H+Re) are explored, with a reminder to check the use of distance in the potential energy terms.
eurekameh
A rocket of mass m=1.20x10^3 kg is launched vertically upward from the Earth's surface with an initial speed v0 = 7.00 km/s.
Calculate the maximum height H of point A above the Earth's surface at which the rocket will momentarily come to rest, before it starts falling back on the earth.

So I know energy (kinetic and potential) is conserved? I've tried using E(initial) = E(final) --> (1/2)mv0^2 = mgh, but figured this wouldn't work because g is not 9.8 m/s^2 far from the earth. Instead, I used (1/2)mv0^2 - (GMm)/Re = -(GMm)/H. I solved for H, but it did not give me the correct solution, which is 4.08 x 10^6. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your use of distance in the potential energy terms.

Filip Larsen said:
Check your use of distance in the potential energy terms.

I'm supposed to use (1/2)mv0^2 - (GMm)/Re = -(GMm)/(H+Re), aren't I? Lol. Thanks!

1. What factors affect the maximum height of a rocket above Earth's surface?

The maximum height of a rocket above Earth's surface is affected by several factors, including the rocket's initial velocity, the amount of thrust generated by the rocket's engines, the atmospheric conditions, and the mass of the rocket.

2. How is the maximum height of a rocket above Earth's surface calculated?

The maximum height of a rocket above Earth's surface is calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the initial velocity, the amount of thrust, and the mass of the rocket. This equation is based on Newton's laws of motion.

3. What is the difference between apogee and maximum height of a rocket above Earth's surface?

Apogee refers to the point in a rocket's trajectory where it is farthest from Earth's surface. Maximum height, on the other hand, refers to the highest point reached by the rocket above Earth's surface.

4. Can a rocket reach an infinite height above Earth's surface?

No, a rocket cannot reach an infinite height above Earth's surface. The maximum height a rocket can reach is limited by the amount of fuel it carries and the atmospheric conditions it encounters.

5. How does the shape of a rocket affect its maximum height above Earth's surface?

The shape of a rocket can greatly affect its maximum height above Earth's surface. A streamlined and aerodynamic shape can reduce air resistance and allow the rocket to reach higher altitudes, while a less streamlined shape can cause the rocket to lose thrust and height due to increased drag.