Max, min and average of the sum of 3 functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a resultant function and finding the max, min, and average values. The speaker has tried to calculate the values and found them to be different from the solution in their book. They ask for help and the other person suggests sketching the functions and finding the average value using an integral. The conversation concludes with the speaker realizing their mistake and thanking the other person for their help.
ulissess
hi, i have these 3 functions

[PLAIN]http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2230/provakd.jpg

i must calculate the resultant function, and to find the max, min and the average.. i have tried to calculate it, i have found these values (max=53; min=38; average=43) but the solution in my book are different (max=54; min=19; average=34).. can you help me?? thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ulissess said:
hi, i have these 3 functions

[PLAIN]http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2230/provakd.jpg

i must calculate the resultant function, and to find the max, min and the average.. i have tried to calculate it, i have found these values (max=53; min=38; average=43) but the solution in my book are different (max=54; min=19; average=34).. can you help me?? thank you!
Your f2 is somewhat confusing. Is your formula saying that f2(t) = 19 for 10 < t <= 18, and f2(t) = 4, for 0 < t <= 10, and for 18 < t <= 24?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes exactly ! , all functions are 0< t<=24

I would sketch all three functions on the same coordinate system. The one that's a little tricky is the first one. Its period is 8, so it will have three complete cycles in your interval of 0 through 24.

yes i know, but i would compare my solution with your solution, i mean i would like to know what max, min absolute you have found.. because i have found max=53 and min=38.. but my book say me different solution (max=54; min=19) so i must understand what i was wrong! (or if the book is wrong)

If you look at f1(t) + f3(t), you get 34 + 10 cos(π/4 * t). The maximum value of this function is 44 and the minimum value is 24.

If we add f2(t) to the above, we are adding 4 on the interval (0, 10], adding 19 on the interval (10, 18], and adding 4 on the interval (18, 24].

So on (0, 10], the max value is 48 and the min value is 28.
On (10, 18], the max value is 63 and the min value is 43.
On (18, 24], the max value is 48 and the min value is 28.

I didn't calculate average values. To do this requires an integral.

Are you sure you copied the numbers in your problem correctly?

The nice thing about finding the average value of the sum of the functions is that it is the sum of the average values of the functions. Two of the functions ( f2 and f3 ) only involve rectangles, so their averages over the entire interval [0, 24] are easy to calculate; so is the average for the first term of f1 . So you will only really need an "average value integration" for the cosine term in f1 ...

i have tried this..

in (0, 10] => f_x=(25+4+9)+10cos(pi/4*t)=38+10cos(pi/4*t)
in (10, 18] =>f_x=(25+19+9)+10cos(pi/4*t)=53+10cos(pi/4*t)
in (18, 24] =>f_x=(25+4+9)+10cos(pi/4*t)=38+10cos(pi/4*t)

for t=0 => f1=48
for t=10 => f2=38
for t=18 => f3=53
for t=24 => f4=48

so for me max=53 and min=38. why my argument is wrong?

for average i have thought:

average=(38*10+53*8+38*6)/24=43

ulissess said:
i have tried this..

in (0, 10] => f_x=(25+4+9)+10cos(pi/4*t)=38+10cos(pi/4*t)
in (10, 18] =>f_x=(25+19+9)+10cos(pi/4*t)=53+10cos(pi/4*t)
in (18, 24] =>f_x=(25+4+9)+10cos(pi/4*t)=38+10cos(pi/4*t)
What you have above looks fine.
ulissess said:
for t=0 => f1=48
for t=10 => f2=38
for t=18 => f3=53
for t=24 => f4=48

so for me max=53 and min=38. why my argument is wrong?
You are evaluating your function only at the endpoints of the domains of f2. In the interval (10, 18], the function is 53 + 10 cos(pi/4 * t). The max and min values don't occur at 10 and 18. Actually, the max value on this interval is 63 and the min value is 43.

If you haven't sketched a graph of the combined function, you really should do so.
ulissess said:
for average i have thought:

average=(38*10+53*8+38*6)/24=43
This is not how it works. The average value of a function f(x) on an interval [a, b] is defined as an integral:
[tex]\frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]

you are right .. for t=4 => f_x=28 and 4 is inside the interval (0,10]; in t=12 => f_x=43 and in t=20 => f_x=28, the same for the max.. you are right ! thank you very much!

1. What is the purpose of finding the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions?

The purpose of finding the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions is to analyze the overall behavior of the functions and understand their relationship with each other. This information can provide insights into the functions' critical points, extrema, and overall trends.

2. How do you calculate the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions?

To calculate the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions, you need to first find the sum of the three functions at a specific point. Then, you can use calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration to find the critical points and extrema. Finally, you can use these values to determine the max, min, and average of the sum of the functions.

3. Can the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions be negative?

Yes, the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions can be negative. These values are determined by the behavior of the functions, and they can take on any positive or negative values depending on the functions' characteristics.

4. Why is it important to consider all 3 functions when finding the max, min, and average of their sum?

Considering all 3 functions is important because each function contributes to the overall behavior of the sum. One function may have a large positive value, while another may have a large negative value, resulting in the sum being close to zero. By considering all 3 functions, we can get a more comprehensive understanding of the sum's behavior and determine the max, min, and average values more accurately.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for finding the max, min, and average of the sum of 3 functions. For example, in economics, this concept can be used to analyze the behavior of different market forces and determine their impact on the overall market. In physics, it can be used to understand the total energy of a system. In engineering, it can be used to optimize the performance of a system by finding the max or min values of certain parameters.