Max Shear Stress in Thin Cylinder: Issues & Applied Pressure

In summary, for a thin walled cylinder, the maximum shear stress is negligible compared to the axial and hoop stresses. It varies linearly with position and is zero on the outside and equal to the gauge pressure on the inside. This has been verified through further research.
OKaraali
I am having some trouble finding out the Maximum shear stress, I worked out my hoop stress and axial stress for the thin cylinder theory but the radial stress i am having issues with. If the applied pressure is only internal then would the radial stress be 0.

Engineering news on Phys.org
OKaraali said:
I am having some trouble finding out the Maximum shear stress, I worked out my hoop stress and axial stress for the thin cylinder theory but the radial stress i am having issues with. If the applied pressure is only internal then would the radial stress be 0.
For a thin walled cylinder, it is negligible compared to the axial and hoop stresses. It is zero on the outside, and gauge pressure on the inside. So it varies linearly with position through the thickness of the wall. But, irrespective of the location, the magnitude is going to be very low relative to the other principal stresses.

Thanks I managed to find this out in further research last night but at least now its verified.

1. What is the definition of max shear stress in a thin cylinder?

Max shear stress in a thin cylinder refers to the maximum amount of stress that occurs in a material due to forces acting perpendicular to the cross-sectional area of the cylinder. It is an important measure of the strength and stability of the cylinder and is typically expressed in units of pressure or force per unit area.

2. How is max shear stress calculated in a thin cylinder?

Max shear stress in a thin cylinder is calculated using the formula τ = (F * r) / (2 * t * π * r^2), where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, r is the radius of the cylinder, and t is the thickness of the cylinder. This formula takes into account the geometry of the cylinder and the magnitude of the applied force.

3. What factors affect the max shear stress in a thin cylinder?

The max shear stress in a thin cylinder is affected by several factors, including the applied pressure or force, the geometry of the cylinder (such as its radius and thickness), and the material properties of the cylinder (such as its yield strength and elasticity). Additionally, the type of loading (e.g. tensile, compressive, or torsional) and the presence of any defects or imperfections in the cylinder can also impact the max shear stress.

4. What are some potential issues with max shear stress in a thin cylinder?

Some potential issues with max shear stress in a thin cylinder include failure due to excessive stress, buckling or deformation of the cylinder, and uneven distribution of stress resulting in weak points. Additionally, the accuracy of calculations and assumptions made in determining the max shear stress can also be a potential issue.

5. How is max shear stress in a thin cylinder applied in real-world situations?

Max shear stress in a thin cylinder is an important concept in engineering and is applied in many real-world situations, such as designing and analyzing pressure vessels, pipes, and other cylindrical structures. It is also used in material testing to determine the strength and durability of various materials. Additionally, understanding the max shear stress can help in the development of more efficient and safe designs for a variety of industrial and mechanical applications.