Max speed of proton in cyclotron

In summary, the solution to this problem is that the proton will escape from the magnetic field if the B-field is only there for a portion of the protons path.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1674690491201.png

The solution is,
1674690074014.png

However, I don't understand why they say just before the proton escapes? Are they assuming that the B-field is only at a portion of region which means that only half or so of the circular path is within the B-field so only half of the path have a magnetic centripetal force?

If the B-field is only there for a portion of the protons path, how do they know that max speed is reached?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The say "just before the proton escapes" to give you indirectly a numerical value. Which of the two values in the statement of the problem do you think that is?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
The say "just before the proton escapes" to give you indirectly a numerical value. Which of the two values in the statement of the problem do you think that is?
The max speed is ##5.17 \times 10^7 \frac {m}{s}##?

Callumnc1 said:
The max speed is ##5.17 \times 10^7 \frac {m}{s}##?
I said the "in statement of the problem", not in the solution that follows it.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
I said the "in statement of the problem", not in the solution that follows it.
Oh I see - thanks @kuruman!

It means max speed of proton over region of radius 1.20 m with B-field strength of 0.450 T.

EDIT: However, I still don't see how the proton would escape since theoretically it should continue moving in the circle of radius 1.20 m as the magnetic force provides the centripetal force. What would cause it to leave the B-field?

Protons in a cyclotron are accelerated. This means that the radius of the orbit increases until they escape. Look it up here to see how it's done.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Protons in a cyclotron are accelerated. This means that the radius of the orbit increases until they escape. Look it up here to see how it's done.
Thanks @kuruman , will do!

Callumnc1 said:
Thanks @kuruman , will do!
Ah so understanding the cyclotron principle I see now that you don't have to calculate the electric force on the protons going from each dee as that info can be gauged from the magnetic field strength and cyclon frequency that does not depend on radius.

What is a cyclotron?

A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator that uses a magnetic field to accelerate charged particles, such as protons, to high speeds.

What is the maximum speed that a proton can reach in a cyclotron?

The maximum speed of a proton in a cyclotron is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the size of the cyclotron. Typically, protons can reach speeds of up to 70-80% of the speed of light in a cyclotron.

Why is the maximum speed of a proton important in a cyclotron?

The maximum speed of a proton is important because it determines the energy of the particle beam produced by the cyclotron. Higher speeds allow for higher energy levels, which are necessary for certain experiments or medical treatments.

How is the maximum speed of a proton in a cyclotron calculated?

The maximum speed of a proton is calculated using the equation v = Bq/m, where v is the speed, B is the magnetic field strength, q is the charge of the proton, and m is the mass of the proton. This equation takes into account the force of the magnetic field on the charged particle.

What factors can affect the maximum speed of a proton in a cyclotron?

The maximum speed of a proton can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and design of the cyclotron, and any external forces acting on the particle. Additionally, the energy of the protons can also be affected by the type and amount of material they pass through in the cyclotron.