Cyclotron magnetic field questions

In summary, cyclotrons are widely used in nuclear medicine to produce short-lived radioactive isotopes. These cyclotrons typically accelerate H− (the hydrideion, which has one proton and two electrons) to an energy of 5MeV to 20MeV. This ion has a mass very close to that of a proton because the electron mass is negligible−about 1/2000 of the proton’s mass. A typical magnetic field in such cyclotrons is 2.3 T.
meaghan

Homework Statement

Cyclotrons are widely used in nuclear medicine for producing short-lived radioactive isotopes. These cyclotrons typically accelerate H− (the hydrideion, which has one proton and two electrons) to an energy of 5MeV to 20MeV. This ion has a mass very close to that of a proton because the electron mass is negligible−about 1/2000 of the proton’s mass. A typical magnetic field in such cyclotrons is 2.3 T

A)What is the speed of a 5.0-MeV H−?

B)If the H− has energy 5.0MeV and B= 2.3 T , what is the radius of this ion’s circular orbit?

Homework Equations

F = qVxB
F = mv^2/r
W= qxV
F = ma
K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part a, i was thinking to find the kinetic energy using 5 MeV = 1/2mv^2 but i'd use the conversion first to go from eV to J
for part b, i was thinking of setting qVxB = mv^2/r

Physics news on Phys.org
meaghan said:
so for part a, i was thinking to find the kinetic energy using 5 MeV = 1/2mv^2 but i'd use the conversion first to go from eV to J

where lies your problem?

Not sure sure how to solve it or if I'm approaching it correctly

meaghan said:

Homework Statement

Cyclotrons are widely used in nuclear medicine for producing short-lived radioactive isotopes. These cyclotrons typically accelerate H− (the hydrideion, which has one proton and two electrons) to an energy of 5MeV to 20MeV. This ion has a mass very close to that of a proton because the electron mass is negligible−about 1/2000 of the proton’s mass. A typical magnetic field in such cyclotrons is 2.3 T

A)What is the speed of a 5.0-MeV H−?

B)If the H− has energy 5.0MeV and B= 2.3 T , what is the radius of this ion’s circular orbit?

Homework Equations

F = qVxB
F = mv^2/r
W= qxV
F = ma
K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Your approach is correct. The only thing to watch out for is to be sure to check the velocity that you get against the speed of light. As long as it is less than a percent or two of c, then you don't have to make any corrections. If it is a significant fraction of c, you will need to use a relativistic correction to get the actual speed. Makes sense? :smile:

yes it does! Relativity didn't factor into this at all since we haven't learned about it yet :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is a cyclotron?

A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator, which uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles to high speeds in a circular path. It was first invented in the 1930s and is still used today in various scientific research and medical applications.

2. How does a cyclotron produce a magnetic field?

A cyclotron uses a combination of permanent magnets and electromagnets to produce a strong, uniform magnetic field. The magnets are arranged in a particular pattern that allows the charged particles to move in a circular path within the cyclotron.

3. What is the purpose of the magnetic field in a cyclotron?

The magnetic field in a cyclotron is essential for the acceleration of charged particles. As the particles move in a circular path, they are constantly changing direction, which creates a centripetal force that increases their speed. The strength of the magnetic field also determines the maximum energy that the particles can reach.

4. How is the strength of the magnetic field in a cyclotron controlled?

The strength of the magnetic field in a cyclotron is controlled by varying the current passing through the electromagnets. By changing the current, the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted to accommodate different types of particles and desired energy levels.

5. What are some common uses of cyclotrons?

Cyclotrons are used in a variety of scientific and medical applications, including particle physics research, production of medical isotopes for imaging and cancer treatment, and industrial applications such as creating new materials and studying material properties. They are also used in the production of some types of radioisotopes used in nuclear medicine.