Max Speed & Spring Compression of 10kg Object on Frictionless Incline

In summary, an object of mass 10kg is at rest at the top of a frictionless incline. The mass is 2m higher than the elastic spring (k=10 N/cm). The object's maximum speed is 6.3 m/s and the maximum spring compression is 1/2mv^2 + mgY + 1/2kY^2.
physicsnewby

Homework Statement

An object of mass 10kg is at rest at the top of a frictionless incline. The mass is 2m higher than the elastic spring (k=10 N/cm). What is the objects maximum speed? What is the maximum spring compression?

I think I may have got the answers but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me if this is done correctly?

Homework Equations

Maximum speed:
V = [2gh] ^1/2

maximum spring compression
1/2mv^2 + mgy + 1/2ky^2 = 1/2mv^2 + mgY + 1/2kY^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Maximum speed:
V = [2gh] ^1/2
V = [2 x 9.8 x 2]^1/2
V = 6.3 m/s

maximum spring compression:
ball touches spring = spring compresses
1/2mv^2 + 0 + 0 = 0 + mgY + 1/2(10)Y^2
1/2(10)(6.3)^2 = (10)(9.CoolY +1/2(0.1)Y^2
198 = 98Y + 0.05Y^2
0 = 0.05Y^2 + 98Y - 198

solving using the quadratic equation gives answers of -1962 or 2, where 2 sounds like the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org

This line has a mistake in it. The equation you have set up is the conservation of energy equation between the point of max speed and the point of maximum compression of the spring, both of with have the gravitational potential energy (they are at the same height). So, the potential energy term should be equal on both sides of this equation.

Is this right?

1/2mv^2 + mgY + 0 = 0 + mgY + 1/2(10)Y^2
1/2(10)(6.3)^2 +(10)(9.8Y) = (10)(9.8Y) +1/2(0.1)Y^2
198 +98Y= 98Y + 0.05Y^2
0 = 0.05Y^2 - 198

G01 said:

This line has a mistake in it. The equation you have set up is the conservation of energy equation between the point of max speed and the point of maximum compression of the spring, both of with have the gravitational potential energy (they are at the same height). So, the potential energy term should be equal on both sides of this equation.

:confused: The max speed is when the block reaches the extremity of the (yet) uncompressed spring. When the spring has a maximum compression, the speed is zero. The two points are at different heights.

physicsnewby said:

Homework Statement

An object of mass 10kg is at rest at the top of a frictionless incline. The mass is 2m higher than the elastic spring (k=10 N/cm). What is the objects maximum speed? What is the maximum spring compression?

I think I may have got the answers but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me if this is done correctly?

Homework Equations

Maximum speed:
V = [2gh] ^1/2

maximum spring compression

The Attempt at a Solution

Maximum speed:
V = [2gh] ^1/2
V = [2 x 9.8 x 2]^1/2
V = 6.3 m/s

1/2(10)(6.3)^2 = (10)(9.CoolY +1/2(0.1)Y^2
198 = 98Y + 0.05Y^2
0 = 0.05Y^2 + 98Y - 198

solving using the quadratic equation gives answers of -1962 or 2, where 2 sounds like the correct answer

I see two problems with the last few steps. First, you should put the spring constant in Newton per meter! 10 N/cm = 1000 N/m.
Then, the solution of the quadratic will be the one with the negative value of y (since you use y=0 on the initial position, y final will be negative).

I am confused about the fact that there is an incline but no angle provided? You are solving theproblem as if the mass was dropped vertically on a vertical spring. That may be right but then there should be no mention of an incline.

Hope this helps.

The question does mention the incline - no angle. It could be wrong solving for the vertical spring, you're right.

If I solve for horizontal, how would I change it? I know you still need KE, PE and the equation 1/2kx^2

physicsnewby said:
The question does mention the incline - no angle. It could be wrong solving for the vertical spring, you're right.

If I solve for horizontal, how would I change it? I know you still need KE, PE and the equation 1/2kx^2

No, I think that then you have to solve it the way you did because they mention the 2 meters higher. So I think you are doing it the right way, except fro the comments about k and the sign of y that I mentioned in my previous post.

nrqed said:
:confused: The max speed is when the block reaches the extremity of the (yet) uncompressed spring. When the spring has a maximum compression, the speed is zero. The two points are at different heights.

Oh I'm sorry, I read the problem wrong. I thought the spring was located after the incline on flat ground, not on the incline. I have to stop reading these homework problems at 1AM.

Again, Sorry for the confusion, I did mean well!:redface:

G01 said:
Oh I'm sorry, I read the problem wrong. I thought the spring was located after the incline on flat ground, not on the incline.
Oh, I see where your comment came from now. Indeed, that could have been a possible interpretation!
I have to stop reading these homework problems at 1AM.

Again, Sorry for the confusion, I did mean well!:redface:
hey, no problem!

Related to Max Speed & Spring Compression of 10kg Object on Frictionless Incline

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum speed of a 10kg object on a frictionless incline?

The formula for calculating the maximum speed of a 10kg object on a frictionless incline is v = √(2gh), where v is the maximum speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the incline.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the maximum speed of the object?

The angle of the incline does not affect the maximum speed of the object. As long as the incline is frictionless and the object is released from rest, the maximum speed will be the same regardless of the angle of the incline.

3. What is the maximum spring compression of the object on a frictionless incline?

The maximum spring compression of the object on a frictionless incline can be calculated using the formula x = mg/2k, where x is the maximum compression, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the spring constant.

4. Does the mass of the object affect the maximum speed and spring compression on a frictionless incline?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the maximum speed and spring compression on a frictionless incline. The heavier the object, the greater the maximum speed and spring compression will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the maximum speed and spring compression of objects on frictionless inclines?

Understanding the maximum speed and spring compression of objects on frictionless inclines can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, engineers can use this knowledge to design roller coasters, physicists can use it to study the motion of objects on inclined planes, and athletes can use it to improve their performance in sports such as skiing and snowboarding.