Maxima, operation between functions

In summary, the person is looking for help with simplifying a function in Maxima. They have tried several commands but have been unsuccessful. They eventually found the solution by chance.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi guys, I've used google and Maxima's manual but couldn't find what I'm looking for.
I have defined a function similar to
Code:
Z(beta):=beta+3;
, and another function
Code:
P(beta):=beta+7/Z;
and I am not able to "simplify" P(beta) as beta+7/(beta+3).
I've tried several commands but all failed. I even tried to define
Code:
P(beta):=beta+7/%o1;
Code:
P(beta,Z):=beta+7/Z;
Code:
P(beta,Z(beta)):=beta+7/Z(beta);
and
Code:
P(beta,Z):=beta+7/Z(beta);
; all failed.
Any idea on how I could reach my goal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem solved guys! I found it by "luck"... Answer: evaluate the following cell:
Code:
P(beta);

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Maxima, operation between functions

What is Maxima?

Maxima is a computer algebra system (CAS) that is used for symbolic mathematical calculations. It can handle various mathematical operations, including operations between functions.

How does Maxima handle operations between functions?

Maxima uses a combination of symbolic manipulation and mathematical algorithms to perform operations between functions. It has a wide range of built-in functions and can also handle user-defined functions.

What types of operations can Maxima perform between functions?

Maxima can perform basic arithmetic operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, between functions. It can also handle more complex operations, such as differentiation, integration, and simplification.

Can Maxima work with any type of function?

Yes, Maxima can work with a wide variety of functions, including polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. It can also handle special functions, such as Bessel functions and hypergeometric functions.

Is there a limit to the number of functions that Maxima can handle in one operation?

Yes, Maxima has a limit on the number of functions it can handle in one operation. This limit is determined by the available memory on the computer. However, this limit is usually high enough to handle most mathematical calculations.