Understanding the Definition of Isotropic Spaces in Riemannian Manifolds

In summary, the constraint $$R_{ijkl}=K(g_{ik} g_{jl} - g_{il}g_{jk})$$ implies that the resulting space is maximally symmetric, meaning that it is specified by just one number - the curvature K, which is independent of the coordinates. This constant curvature space must be both homogeneous and isotropic. However, this constraint alone does not guarantee constant sectional curvature, and further assumptions about the space may be needed to determine its universal covering space and its sectional curvatures."
Wledig
Why does the constraint:
$$R_{ijkl}=K(g_{ik} g_{jl} - g_{il}g_{jk})$$
Imply that the resulting space is maximally symmetric? The GR book I'm using takes this relation more or less as a definition, what is the idea behind here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if ##K## is constant, so is ##R_{ijkl}## since ##\nabla_\mu g_{ij} = 0##

Not sure I see how this leads to the space being isotropic and homogeneous. And why should it be proportional to the curvature?

I find it frustrating to be faced with math questions that are not explained well at all.

What is assumed about the space? Is it 3-dimensional, as the title seems to imply? (A 3-dimensional manifold is sometimes called a 3-manifold, but only 3-dimensional Euclidean space is called "3-space" with no qualification.) Is it compact? What does the original poster mean by the use of the phrase "maximally symmetric"?

And it would help to make your notation and summation conventions explicit instead of implied.

Without clarity on these issues it can be difficult or impossible to answer questions like this.

(But: If a space is both isotropic and homogeneous, then it must have constant sectional curvature. This implies that, up to uniform scaling, its universal (i.e., simply connected) covering space is one of

a) the unit n-sphere,

b) n-dimensional Euclidean space, or

c) n-dimensional hyperbolic space

— with constant sectional curvatures equal to 1, 0, or -1, respectively.)

Last edited:
zinq said:
But: If a space is both isotropic and homogeneous, then it must have constant sectional curvature.
I don't think this is true. Isn't ##\mathbb{C}P^n## for ##n>1## (with the Fubini-Study metric) a counterexample?

zinq said:
Without clarity on these issues it can be difficult or impossible to answer questions like this.
Sorry, I assumed the concepts and notation were well known. Here's how Hobson puts it:

"A maximally symmetric space is specified by just one number - the curvature K, which is independent of the coordinates. Such constant curvature spaces must clearly be homogeneous and isotropic."

So it's like I've said, he takes this the constraint to be more or less a definition, which I'm trying to justify.

zinq said:
No. What I wrote is true: CPn is homogenous but for n > 1 it's not isotropic. (Homogeneity ensures that all points look the same re curvature, and isotropy ensures that, at a given point, all sectional curvatures are equal.)
Are you sure? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotropic_manifold gives ##\mathbb{CP}^n## as an example of an isotropic manifold.

The group ##U(n+1)## acts on ##\mathbb{CP}^n## by isometries, and the subgroup fixing a point ##p## is a copy of ##U(n)## acting in the usual way on ##T_p\mathbb{CP}^n=\mathbb{C}^n.## Since ##U(n)## acts transitively on the unit sphere in ##\mathbb{C}^n##, we have isotropy.

To preserve sectional curvatures, you would want the isotropy group of a point to act transitively on the set of ##2##-planes, not just the set of unit vectors.

Clearly I was assuming a stronger definition of "isotropic" than the one that others use for a Riemannian n-manifold: Each point x has a neighborhood U such that the group of isometries of U that fix x is the orthogonal group O(n).

zinq said:
Clearly I was assuming a stronger definition of "isotropic" than the one that others use for a Riemannian n-manifold: Each point x has a neighborhood U such that the group of isometries of U that fix x is the orthogonal group O(n).
I don't know how it was "clear" that you were using your own invented definition of isotropic, especially since it's not the definition OP is using. The condition OP imposes on the metric implies that the manifold is (homogeneous and) isotropic in the usual sense, but not that it has constant sectional curvature as in your post 4.

1. What is a maximally symmetric 3-space?

A maximally symmetric 3-space is a mathematical concept used in the study of geometry and topology. It is a three-dimensional space that has the maximum possible number of symmetries, meaning that any point in the space can be transformed into any other point by a symmetry operation such as rotation, reflection, or translation.

2. How is a maximally symmetric 3-space different from a regular 3-dimensional space?

In a regular 3-dimensional space, there is no restriction on the number of symmetries that can exist. However, in a maximally symmetric 3-space, the number of symmetries is limited to the maximum possible number. This means that a maximally symmetric 3-space has a higher degree of symmetry than a regular 3-dimensional space.

3. What are some examples of maximally symmetric 3-spaces?

Some examples of maximally symmetric 3-spaces include Euclidean space, hyperbolic space, and spherical space. These spaces have different properties, but they all have the maximum possible number of symmetries.

4. How are maximally symmetric 3-spaces used in physics?

Maximally symmetric 3-spaces are used in physics to describe the geometry of the universe. In particular, they are used in the theory of general relativity to model the curvature of space-time. They are also used in cosmology to study the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. What are some real-world applications of maximally symmetric 3-spaces?

Maximally symmetric 3-spaces have applications in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and computer vision. They are also used in the design of efficient algorithms for geometric problems. Additionally, they have applications in the study of crystal structures and molecular structures in chemistry and materials science.