Maximally symmetric sub-manifold (2-sphere)

• I
  • Thread starter Apashanka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary: What are you not understanding? Why the cross terms aren't there if the tangent vectors are orthogonal to the submanifolds?YesIn summary, the conversation discusses the tangent vector on a sub-manifold, specifically in the context of a 3-D space foliated by a 2-sphere. The tangent vector is shown to be perpendicular to the sub-manifolds, with the metric being determined by the choice of coordinates. The conversation also mentions the absence of cross terms in the metric due to the orthogonality of the tangent vectors to the sub-manifolds.
Apashanka
Again in pg. 166 eq 7.2
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1YY2mM7uccdbX4nTxFgQO5
IMG_20190301_163703.jpg

Here ##u^1=\theta,u^2=\phi## and v=r.
The tangent vector on the sub-manifold points on ##V^1 \hat \theta## & ##V^2 \hat \phi##.
It is written here to get rid of cross terms the tangent vectors##\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## (here ##\frac{∂}{∂r}##) is made perpendicular to the submanifolds.
Can anyone please explain what is the last line trying to say and how it will be applicable here??

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_163703.jpg
    IMG_20190301_163703.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 730
Physics news on Phys.org
Another, if we consider our 3-D space foliated by 2-sphere then the metric becomes ##ds^2=f_1(r)dr^2+f_2(r)d\Omega^2##
where ##d\Omega^2=d\theta^2+sin^2\theta d\phi^2##
But our known metric is ##dr^2+r^2d\Omega^2## and comparing this two we get ##f_1(r)=1## and ##f_2(r)=r^2##,my question how are these ##f_1(r)## and ##f_2(r)## are determined??

Apashanka said:
The tangent vector on the sub-manifold

Tangent vector to what? You have drawn a curve in your drawing. Are you looking at the tangent vector to the curve? Or are you just looking at a general vector that lies in the submanifold?

Apashanka said:
It is written here to get rid of cross terms the tangent vectors ##\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## (here ##\frac{∂}{∂r}##) is made perpendicular to the submanifolds.

Written where?

Apashanka said:
Can anyone please explain what is the last line trying to say

What last line are you talking about?

Apashanka said:
if we consider our 3-D space foliated by 2-sphere then the metric becomes...

Yes, this is correct.

Apashanka said:
our known metric is ##dr^2+r^2d\Omega^2##

This is the known metric with a particular choice of coordinates. There are other possible coordinate choices.

Apashanka said:
how are these ##f_1(r)## and ##f_2(r)## are determined??

By choosing particular coordinates.

PeterDonis said:
Tangent vector to what? You have drawn a curve in your drawing. Are you looking at the tangent vector to the curve? Or are you just looking at a general vector that lies in the submanifold?
Tangent vector to a curve

Apashanka said:
Tangent vector to a curve

Then the tangent vector has to point along the curve. It doesn't look like it does in your drawing.

PeterDonis said:
Then the tangent vector has to point along the curve. It doesn't look like it does in your drawing.
Ya it is along ##\hat \theta+\hat \phi## ,coefficients apart

PeterDonis said:
By choosing particular coordinates.
We have here chosen spherical polar coordinates for which ##f_1=1## and ##f_2=r^2##, then how it is coming??

Apashanka said:
It is written here to get rid of cross terms the tangent vectors ##I\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## (here ##\frac{∂}{∂r}##) is made perpendicular to the submanifolds.

Apashanka said:
Page -166 equation 7.2

It doesn't say anywhere on that page that the tangent vectors ##I\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## are "made" perpendicular to the submanifolds. You don't have to "make" that be true. It automatically is true just from the foliation.

Apashanka said:
Ya it is along ##\hat \theta+\hat \phi## ,coefficients apart

The tangent vector in your drawing is ##T##. It doesn't look like ##T## is pointing along the curve. It looks like it's pointing perpendicular to the curve, which is wrong.

Apashanka said:
We have here chosen spherical polar coordinates for which ##f_1=1## and ##f_2=r^2##, then how it is coming??

Because you chose it.

PeterDonis said:
It doesn't say anywhere on that page that the tangent vectors ##I\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## are "made" perpendicular to the submanifolds. You don't have to "make" that be true. It automatically is true just from the foliation.
In the second paragraph it is written that cross terms between ##du^i## and ##dV^j## are not present in the ##ds^2## as the tangent vector ##\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## are orthogonal to the submanifolds.(in 2nd paragraph).
That's what I am not understanding.
Screenshot_20190301-154600.png

Could you please help me out
What tangent vector is ##\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## ??
For this 3-D space foliated by 2-sphere it is then ##\frac{∂}{∂r}## and metric ##ds^2=f_1(r)dr^2+f_2(r)d\Omega^2## (where ##f_1=1## and ##f_2=r^2## )assuming that ##\frac{∂}{∂r}## is orthogonal to the 2- sphere
Could you please explain it...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-154600.png
    Screenshot_20190301-154600.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
The tangent vector in your drawing is ##T##. It doesn't look like ##T## is pointing along the curve. It looks like it's pointing perpendicular to the curve, which is wrong.
It should point along ##\hat \theta+\hat \phi##,isn't it??
Sorry diagramatically it pretends to be pointing otherwise

Apashanka said:
That's what I am not understanding.

What are you not understanding? Why the cross terms aren't there if the tangent vectors are orthogonal to the submanifolds?

Apashanka said:
It should point along ##\hat \theta+\hat \phi##,isn't it??

The tangent vector should point along the curve. That's what "tangent" means.

PeterDonis said:
What are you not understanding? Why the cross terms aren't there if the tangent vectors are orthogonal to the submanifolds?
Yes what the tangent vector ##\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## is ??And how it's orthogonality to the submanifold omits the cross terms from the metric ??
Because till now we only know tangent vector to a curve whose component along the ##\mu^{th}## direction is ##\frac{dx^\mu(\lambda)}{d\lambda}##

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
Yes what the tangent vector ##\frac{∂}{∂V^I}## is ??

In your example, it's ##\partial / \partial r##.

Apashanka said:
how it's orthogonality to the submanifold omits the cross terms from the metric ??

Orthogonality of two vectors ##U^\mu## and ##V^\nu## means that ##g_{\mu \nu} U^\mu V^\nu = 0##. That means there can't be any components of ##g_{\mu \nu}## that have an index ##\mu## for which ##U^\mu## is not zero, and an index ##\nu## for which ##V^\nu## is not zero. So, for example, if ##\partial / \partial r## is going to be orthogonal to any vector that lies in the 2-sphere submanifold, then there can't be any cross terms in ##g_{\mu \nu}## where ##\mu = r## and ##\nu = \theta## or ##\nu =\phi##.

Apashanka said:
till now we only know tangent vector to a curve

So you just pick any curve that has all coordinates constant except the one you're interested in. So, for example, ##\partial / \partial r## is a tangent vector to any curve that has all coordinates constant except ##r##.

PeterDonis said:
So you just pick any curve that has all coordinates constant except the one you're interested in. So, for example, ##\partial / \partial r## is a tangent vector to any curve that has all coordinates constant except ##r##.
Can we then say that the curve is parametrised by ##r## similar to what we are used of which is ##\lambda##??

PeterDonis said:
In your example, it's ##\partial / \partial r##.
Orthogonality of two vectors ##U^\mu## and ##V^\nu## means that ##g_{\mu \nu} U^\mu V^\nu = 0##. That means there can't be any components of ##g_{\mu \nu}## that have an index ##\mu## for which ##U^\mu## is not zero, and an index ##\nu## for which ##V^\nu## is not zero. So, for example, if ##\partial / \partial r## is going to be orthogonal to any vector that lies in the 2-sphere submanifold, then there can't be any cross terms in ##g_{\mu \nu}## where ##\mu = r## and ##\nu = \theta## or ##\nu =\phi##.
It is therefore (##\frac{∂}{∂r}## pointing along ##\hat r##)??

Apashanka said:

##\partial / \partial r## is ##\hat{r}##. They're two different notations for the same thing.

PeterDonis said:
##\partial / \partial r## is ##\hat{r}##. They're two different notations for the same thing.

By ##\hat{r}##, @Apashanka might mean ##\left| \hat{r} \right| = \left| g\left( \hat{r} , \hat{r}\right) \right| = 1##.

Apashanka said:

Yes, people have tried to mention this several times now by my reading of the thread.

Let us use the spherical line element
$$ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 \,d\theta^2 + r^2 \sin^2 \theta \, d\phi^2$$

I can't make your diagram out well enough to figure out if this line element that I wrote corresponds to your diagram though :(.

With the above line element, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial r} = \hat{r}##. However, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} = r \hat{\theta}##. So in general it is not true that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} = \hat{x^i}##, though they point in the same direction.

In the notation you appear to be used to, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## always points in the same direction as ##\hat{x^i}##, but ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## does not necessarily have a unit length. But ##\hat{x^i}## does have a unit length, by defintion. Thus we can say ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} = K \, \hat{x^i}## where K is the length of ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}##.

For the line element I wrote, the length of ##\frac{\partial}{\partial r}## is 1, the length of ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}## is r, and the length of ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} = r \, \sin \theta##

In general, given a metric ##g_{ij}## the length of ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## is ##\sqrt{ | g_{ii} |}##. This follows from the fact that the length^2 of a vector with components ##u^i## is ##g_{ij} u^i u^j##.

Likes PeroK
PeterDonis said:
Okk if ##\lambda## is the parametrisation of the curve and all other coordinates remain constt. along the curve except ##x^{jth}##
then at any ##\lambda## the tangent vector is ##\frac{dx^{jth}}{d\lambda}\hat x^{jth}##
In spherical polar coordinate a straight line from the origin is an example where only r changes along the curve and (θ,Φ) remains constt.
So the tangent vector will be ##\frac{dr}{dλ}\hat r## throughout the curve.
If λ being the length along the curve then tangent vector is simply ##\hat r## throughout the curve.
How is then tangent vector becomes ##\frac{∂}{∂r}## as you said above??

Apashanka said:
If λ being the length along the curve then tangent vector is simply ##\hat r## throughout the curve.

##\hat{r}## and ##\partial / \partial r## are the same thing, as I said in post #21. So if the curve is purely in the ##r## direction, the tangent vector is ##(dr / d\lambda) (\partial / \partial r)##. And if ##\lambda## is arc length along the curve, and the curve is purely in the ##r## direction, then ##\lambda = r##, so ##dr / d\lambda = 1##. So the tangent vector is just ##\partial / \partial r##.

Apashanka said:
Okk if ##\lambda## is the parametrisation of the curve and all other coordinates remain constt. along the curve except ##x^{jth}##
then at any ##\lambda## the tangent vector is ##\frac{dx^{jth}}{d\lambda}\hat x^{jth}##
In spherical polar coordinate a straight line from the origin is an example where only r changes along the curve and (θ,Φ) remains constt.
So the tangent vector will be ##\frac{dr}{dλ}\hat r## throughout the curve.

There's a correspondence between vectors and directional derivatives that can be formalised mathematically. This is an important mathematical element that you need to master.

I must admit it took me a good deal of effort to really understand the whole concept. Learning GR was the first time I'd come across it.

1. What is a maximally symmetric sub-manifold (2-sphere)?

A maximally symmetric sub-manifold (2-sphere) is a two-dimensional surface that has the highest possible degree of symmetry. This means that any point on the surface looks the same as any other point when viewed from a certain perspective. In other words, the surface has the same curvature in all directions.

2. What is the significance of studying maximally symmetric sub-manifolds?

Maximally symmetric sub-manifolds have important applications in various fields of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, general relativity, and topology. They also have practical applications in computer graphics and computer vision.

3. How are maximally symmetric sub-manifolds related to the concept of curvature?

Maximally symmetric sub-manifolds are characterized by having constant curvature. This means that the curvature at any point on the surface is the same in all directions. In contrast, non-symmetric sub-manifolds have varying curvature at different points.

4. Can you give an example of a maximally symmetric sub-manifold (2-sphere)?

The most well-known example of a maximally symmetric sub-manifold is the surface of a sphere. It has constant curvature and is symmetric in all directions, making it a 2-sphere. Other examples include the surfaces of cylinders and cones.

5. How are maximally symmetric sub-manifolds visualized in mathematics?

Maximally symmetric sub-manifolds are often visualized using mathematical models, such as the Poincaré disk model or the Beltrami-Klein model. These models use hyperbolic geometry to represent the surface in a way that preserves its symmetry and curvature.