Maximizing Acceleration and Braking Distance for a Cyclist on a Horizontal Road

In summary, a cyclist and her bicycle with a combined mass of 75kg are on a horizontal road. The normal contact force is distributed with 60% on the back wheel and 40% on the front wheel. The coefficient of friction is 0.8. The cyclist can hope to achieve a maximum acceleration of 0.48m/s^2. While riding at 6m/s, she applies both brakes to stop the wheels rotating. The distance it takes for her to come to a stop can be calculated using the formula for uniformly delayed movement or the conservation of energy law. The acceleration in this case is not constant.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

A cyclist and her bicycle have mass 75kg. she is riding on a horizontal road, and positions herself so that 60% of the normal contact force is on the back wheel and 40% on the front wheel. The coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.8. What is the greatest acceleration she can hope to achieve?
Whilst riding at 6ms^(-1), she applies both brakes to stop the wheels rotating. In what distance will she come to a stop?

Homework Equations

Newtons second law

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the friction force of the back wheel will be the forward force of the bicycle so

0.48R=75a ,i don't consider the frictional force of the front wheel ?

I have no idea for the next.

Physics news on Phys.org

thereddevils said:
In what distance will she come to a stop?

You can calculate friction force of both wheel. Friction force have to do work on distance to stop. Conservation of energy is the easiest way to solve this problem.

regards

Bartek said:
You can calculate friction force of both wheel. Friction force have to do work on distance to stop. Conservation of energy is the easiest way to solve this problem.

regards

thanks but isn't the friction force provide the forward force for the bicycle?

and also is part 1 correct?

thereddevils said:
thanks but isn't the friction force provide the forward force for the bicycle?
Yes, but only friction from back wheel (which is driven) provide forward force. During braking both wheels "produce" force.

I don't clearly understand what you mean by "0.48R=75a"?

regards

Bartek said:
Yes, but only friction from back wheel (which is driven) provide forward force. During braking both wheels "produce" force.

I don't clearly understand what you mean by "0.48R=75a"?

regards

For (1), the friction of back wheel, (0.8)(0.6R) provides the forward force, ma.

Therefore , (0.8)(0.6R)=ma ,also do i consider the friction of the front wheel here?

ie 0.48R-0.32R=ma ?

thereddevils said:
Therefore , (0.8)(0.6R)=ma ,also do i consider the friction of the front wheel here?

ie 0.48R-0.32R=ma ?
No. When bicycle accelerated, front wheel did not produce friction. Only back wheel is driven by a cyclist.

So, in (1) you have 0.8*0.6*m*g=m*a where g is 9.81m/s^2.

BTW... I think, she can hope to achieve that acceleration, but she does not have enough power.

regards
Bartek

Bartek said:
No. When bicycle accelerated, front wheel did not produce friction. Only back wheel is driven by a cyclist.

So, in (1) you have 0.8*0.6*m*g=m*a where g is 9.81m/s^2.

BTW... I think, she can hope to achieve that acceleration, but she does not have enough power.

regards
Bartek

Thanks Bartek,

For (1) ,isn't that the front tyre is in contact with the ground,so when it rubs against the ground ,fricton is produced?

For(2), can i just use the motion formulas ,v=u+at

I don think so because the acceleration is not constant in this case?

(2)

thereddevils said:
For (1) ,isn't that the front tyre is in contact with the ground,so when it rubs against the ground ,fricton is produced?

For(2), can i just use the motion formulas ,v=u+at

I don think so because the acceleration is not constant in this case?
When the bike start and accelerates friction force is propelled force. So, only force from back wheel works in this case - because only back wheel is driven by a biker. Front wheel theoretically resist against movement, but it is rolling friction - you can omit it (such as an air resistance etc.).

When bicycle is braking both wheels are stationary and rub on the road. Both of them produce friction which slow bicycle. You should use the formula for distance in uniformly delayed movement. Or you can use conservation energy law.

Why do you think that acceleration is not constans?

Can you be of any help, I need a simple (if that is possible) equation to help me determine the weight increase of a 12 stone occupant of a car doing 30mph coming to a dead stop?

Simo43 said:
Can you be of any help, I need a simple (if that is possible) equation to help me determine the weight increase of a 12 stone occupant of a car doing 30mph coming to a dead stop?
According https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" you have to start new thread, and show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help...

Try this :-)

regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartek said:
When the bike start and accelerates friction force is propelled force. So, only force from back wheel works in this case - because only back wheel is driven by a biker. Front wheel theoretically resist against movement, but it is rolling friction - you can omit it (such as an air resistance etc.).

When bicycle is braking both wheels are stationary and rub on the road. Both of them produce friction which slow bicycle. You should use the formula for distance in uniformly delayed movement. Or you can use conservation energy law.

Why do you think that acceleration is not constans?

thanks for your help!

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is Newton's second law expressed mathematically?

The mathematical expression of Newton's second law is F = ma, where F is the net force applied to the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

3. Can you provide an example of Newton's second law in action?

For example, if you push a shopping cart with a force of 10 newtons and another person pushes with a force of 5 newtons, the cart will accelerate in the direction of the 10 newton force because it has a higher net force acting on it.

4. How does mass affect acceleration according to Newton's second law?

The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. In other words, the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass.

5. How does Newton's second law relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's second law is closely related to the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. The greater the mass of an object, the more inertia it has and the harder it is to change its state of motion.