Shoot a basketball with a minimum speed at some angle

In summary: In this case you are given the angle and want to minimize the initial speed so you will differentiate with respect to the angle, Tan(θ), or rather the cotangent.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of minimizing the initial speed required to shoot a basketball at a given angle ##\theta## in order to make a basket. It is stated that line drives and rainbows should be avoided, and the "Jabbar sky hook" technique is mentioned as an example. The function ##f(\theta) = 1/(a \sin (\theta) \cos (\theta) -b \cos^2 (\theta))## is introduced, which represents the initial speed as a function of the angle of projection ##\theta##
McFluffy

Homework Statement

You should shoot a basketball at the angle ##\theta## requiring minimum speed. Avoid line drives and rainbows. Shooting from (0, 0) with the basket at (a, b), minimize ##f(\theta)= 1/(a \sin (\theta) \cos (\theta) -b \cos^2 (\theta))##.
(a) If b =0 you are level with the basket. Show that ##\theta=45\deg## is best (Jabbar sky hook).
(b) Reduce ##df\over d\theta## = 0 to ##\tan (2\theta) = -a/b##. Solve when a =b.
(c) Estimate the best angle for a free throw

Homework Equations

I have no idea on how this derived:##f(\theta)= 1/(a \sin (\theta) \cos (\theta) -b \cos^2 (\theta))##, but based on the question, it seems that this is the initial speed ##f##, as a function of angle, ##\theta##? How does one derive this?

The Attempt at a Solution

Coming from a person that only plays basketball when friends invited to play, I don't understand the terminologies that are being used such as, "line drives", "rainbows", and "Jabbar sky hook". So the first thing I did was to google these phrases:
Line drives = a flat shot with no arc, which is a straight line from (0,0) to (a,b)
Rainbows = A type of shot in basketball which has a higher than normal arc as it moves towards the basket, so it's a parabola.
Jabbar sky hook = When you're level at the basket, you throw the ball, this video explains it:

Now that we know the terminologies(I think), we can proceed. So a straight line or a parabolic path is a no. The question first asked me to minimize ##f(\theta)##, setting ##df \over d\theta## = 0 then finding what ##\theta## to plug into ##f(\theta)## is fairly straightforward but I want to know how was ##f(\theta)## derived? I tried sketching what it would look like in the xy plane and find some clues on how to derive ##f(\theta)## but I can't find it.

Other than that,the part where I'm stuck is the formulation part. The calculus part, I can do those. So what now?

Physics news on Phys.org
McFluffy said:
How does one derive this?
Eliminate the time from the two projectile equations and get ##y(x)##. Be sure to write the trig functions in the equation in terms of Tan(θ), then solve for v02. You will get ##f(\theta)## to within a constant which is irrelevant because you are minimizing.

On edit: Actually you don't have to express the trig functions in terms of the tangent. That becomes necessary if you want to find the angle of projection given a, b and the initial speed.

Last edited:
Likes McFluffy

1. What is the minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle?

The minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle depends on a variety of factors, including the distance to the basket, the angle at which you are shooting, and the amount of force applied by the shooter. Generally, a minimum speed of around 17-20 miles per hour is needed to make a successful shot at a 45 degree angle.

2. How do you calculate the minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle?

The minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle can be calculated using the following formula: minimum speed = square root of (distance x gravitational acceleration x sine 2θ), where θ is the desired shooting angle. This formula takes into account the distance to the basket, the force of gravity, and the angle at which the ball is being shot.

3. What is the optimal shooting angle for making a basket?

The optimal shooting angle for making a basket can vary depending on the individual shooter's technique and strength, but generally, a 45 degree angle is considered to be the most effective. This angle allows for a balance between the force of the shot and the arc of the ball, increasing the chances of making the basket.

4. How does air resistance affect the minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle?

Air resistance can significantly impact the minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences drag force, which slows it down. This means that a higher minimum speed is needed to counteract the effect of air resistance and successfully make the shot.

5. Can the minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle vary depending on the type of basketball?

Yes, the minimum speed needed to shoot a basketball at a specific angle can vary depending on the type of basketball being used. Different types of basketballs have different weights and sizes, which can affect the amount of force needed to make a successful shot. Additionally, outdoor basketballs may have different levels of air resistance compared to indoor basketballs, which can also impact the minimum speed needed for a successful shot.