Maximizing f(x) with Inequality Constraint: Solving a Functional Inequation

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, Homework Statement The function f satisfies \dfrac{f(x)}{f(y)} \leq 2^{(x-y)^2} x,y \in D where D denotes domain set of the function, then f(x) can be maximized to be less than or equal to 2^{(x-y)^2}.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The function f satisfies [itex] \dfrac{f(x)}{f(y)} \leq 2^{(x-y)^2} x,y \in D [/itex] where D denotes domain set of the function, then f(x) can be

I have a set of options as well but I'm not posting it now. I will post it if required, later.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have dealt with functional equations but this seems more daunting as it is rather an inequation. First, to simplify it, I take natural logarithm of both sides. Then

[itex] log f(x) - logf(y) \leq (x-y)^2 log2 [/itex]

My next thought is to differentiate the expression wrt x. But I'm not sure whether it would be helpful as I don't want to do it uselessly.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

The function f satisfies [itex] \dfrac{f(x)}{f(y)} \leq 2^{(x-y)^2} x,y \in D [/itex] where D denotes domain set of the function, then f(x) can be

I have a set of options as well but I'm not posting it now.

"Can be", rather than "is", suggests that checking which of those options satisfies this condition is the way forward.

pasmith said:
"Can be", rather than "is", suggests that checking which of those options satisfies this condition is the way forward.

So how should I check the given options?

utkarshakash said:
So how should I check the given options?

Calculate [itex]f(x)/f(y)[/itex] for each case, and check whether the result is less than or equal to [itex]2^{(x-y)^2}[/itex].

One other thing is that, since (x - y)2 ≥ 0 for any real x and y, it must be true that f(x)/f(y) ≥ 20 = 1. You didn't show what the options are, but if there are any that are less than 1, you can eliminate them from further consideration.

Edit: Never mind on the above. I was looking at the wrong direction of the inequality in post #1.

BTW, we don't call it an "inequation" - we call it an inequality.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
One other thing is that, since (x - y)2 ≥ 0 for any real x and y, it must be true that f(x)/f(y) ≥ 20 = 1.

I'm not sure how that follows from [itex]\dfrac{f(x)}{f(y)} \leq 2^{(x-y)^2}[/itex].

Good point. I must have gotten my inequality sign turned around.

pasmith said:
Calculate [itex]f(x)/f(y)[/itex] for each case, and check whether the result is less than or equal to [itex]2^{(x-y)^2}[/itex].

For example, one option is

[itex] \int_0^x 2t^3 dt [/itex]

This function is x^4/2. You are saying to simply plug x in one and y in another. Doing that gives

[itex] \left( \dfrac{x}{y} \right) ^4 [/itex]

Now how do I check whether this is less than [itex]2^{(x-y)^2} [/itex] or not? Should I start substituting some random values?

You don't say what D is. Is it specified separately for each f option?
Since the right-hand side of the inequation becomes weak when x and y are far apart, and the inequation is trivially true when x = y, I would concentrate on y and x differing by a small amount.

utkarshakash said:
For example, one option is

[itex] \int_0^x 2t^3 dt [/itex]

This function is x^4/2. You are saying to simply plug x in one and y in another. Doing that gives

[itex] \left( \dfrac{x}{y} \right) ^4 [/itex]

Now how do I check whether this is less than [itex]2^{(x-y)^2} [/itex] or not? Should I start substituting some random values?

You can look at the function
[tex] F(x,y) = \left(\frac{x}{y}\right)^4 - 2^{(x-y)^2},[/tex]
and try to maximize it, to see if its maximum is ≤ 0.

Last edited:

Related to Maximizing f(x) with Inequality Constraint: Solving a Functional Inequation

1. What is a functional inequation?

A functional inequation is a mathematical statement that involves a function and an inequality, where the goal is to find the values of the function that satisfy the inequality.

2. How is a functional inequation different from a functional equation?

A functional equation involves an equality, while a functional inequation involves an inequality. In other words, a functional equation requires the function to be equal to a certain value, while a functional inequation allows for a range of values for the function.

3. What are common methods for solving a functional inequation?

Some common methods for solving a functional inequation include substitution, graphing, and algebraic manipulation. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the inequation and the available tools.

4. What are some real-life applications of functional inequations?

Functional inequations are used in a variety of fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics, to model real-life situations and make predictions. For example, in economics, functional inequations can be used to model supply and demand relationships.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a functional inequation?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. Since functional inequations involve inequalities, it is important to check whether the solutions obtained actually satisfy the original inequality. Additionally, it is important to carefully follow the rules of algebra and avoid making errors such as dropping terms or applying incorrect operations.