Maximizing Heat Storage in Water: Photovoltaic vs Radiator

In summary, Tom suggests that adding salt to water can help store more heat, because it lowers the freezing point and heat capacity. He is considering starting a new thread about his idea, to get more feedback.
camerart
Hi,
I'm going to make a comparison test between Photovoltaic solar panels and the radiator type.

I intend to store all heat with an insulated water tank.

Many years ago, I heard about water bottles in a green house with some kind of salts in the water, which allowed the water to store more heat than plain water. I'm not talking about raising the boiling point!
Any ideas as to what this salt is please?
Camerart

Chemistry news on Phys.org
camerart said:
I'm not talking about raising the boiling point!
Any ideas as to what this salt is please?
Sodium or magnesium sulfate or chloride, however you will be raising the boiling point.

Hi B,
Ah, thanks.
Can you explain a little more what happens please, and how much difference it makes?
Als how much works best?
Thanks, Camerart

Tom.G said:
Here is a graph of the specific heat of NaCl in H2O. It looks like the specific heat decreases as salt is added to water.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/docs/documents/1187/sodium-chloride-water-specific-heat.png

Above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=specific+heat+sodium+chloride

Cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the links. (While I appreciate the links to Google, it doesn't make things simpler) I've searched myself and find this very difficult route to understanding. I'm not lazy!

Can I point out that I'm slightly Dyslexic, so what may be obvious to some may not be obvious to me. I keep searching and find similar questions, where they may be answered by comparing a block of Iron compared to a 'block' of water, this complicates things.

If a litre of water, 'A' has salt in it, from the graph link, I see it will have a lower specific heat, than litre of water 'B'

For thermal storage, is it better to raise or lower the specific heat of a volume of water?
In other words, is it an advantage to add salt to store more heat in a known volume of water?

C

Last edited:
camerart said:
For thermal storage, is it better to raise or lower the specific heat of a volume of water?
In other words, is it an advantage to add salt to store more heat in a known volume of water?
Well, you asked the initial question and it comes with an implied answer: it is often better to have a higher specific heat because that means you need less of the storage medium. So, additives are often there because of boiling or freezing point concerns.

So I think then the answer to the original question is no, it's not really the way it works that you add something to water to make it store more heat, you just use more water.

Likes berkeman and Lord Jestocost
Hi R,
Thank you for a clear answer.
I wonder what it was that was done to those greenhouse bottles of water? Maybe the idea was simply incorrect.
Cheers, C.

Usually, stuff is added to water to lower the freezing point, to prevent water lines from getting clogged, and bursting from ice expansion. And also, usually, it lowers the heat-capacity.

For a greenhouse, it'd be neat if you could raise the freezing point of a ballast.

Likes russ_watters
Perhaps you read this article:

Chill: out! Storing heat inside a greenhouse using salt
The salt formulation used inside Carmenia's greenhouse is capable of storing 62 times the amount of heat by weight as water.

I'm late for a very important date, so I don't have time to figure out if this is nonsense or not. See you next week!

Likes russ_watters
Hi O,
I think it may be true, but not what I'm asking. The salt is a solid, like sand or concrete, and can store more heat than water, but for my experiment, I specifically need to use water, for convenience, and scale.

I could have tried a ton of concrete, then found that a ton of this salt would be better, then I would have to get rid of the concrete, so water it is :)

I'll start another thread about my idea, and see what you think. Note: I prefer simple words of what you think, rather than Google links or deep science.
C.

I don't think you need another thread ; rather to define what you're trying to accomplish with your experiment.

You might be thinking of molten-salt thermal storage, which is a phase change for higher temperatures than boiling water.

Or, you might not.

1. How does using photovoltaic panels compare to using a radiator for maximizing heat storage in water?

Both photovoltaic panels and radiators can be used to maximize heat storage in water. However, they operate in different ways. Photovoltaic panels convert sunlight into electricity, which can then be used to power a heating element in a water storage tank. Radiators, on the other hand, use a heating element directly to heat the water. In terms of efficiency, photovoltaic panels are generally more efficient as they are able to harness energy from sunlight, while radiators rely on electricity from the grid.

2. Are there any limitations to using photovoltaic panels for heat storage in water?

One limitation of using photovoltaic panels for heat storage in water is that they are dependent on sunlight. This means that on cloudy or overcast days, the panels may not be able to generate enough electricity to heat the water effectively. Additionally, the size and number of panels needed to heat a large volume of water may be costly and take up a significant amount of space.

3. How does the cost of using photovoltaic panels compare to using a radiator for heat storage in water?

The cost of using photovoltaic panels for heat storage in water can vary depending on factors such as the size of the system, the location, and the cost of electricity in the area. Generally, the initial cost of installing a photovoltaic system is higher than that of a radiator. However, over time, the cost of using photovoltaic panels may be lower as they rely on renewable energy and do not require electricity from the grid.

4. Can both photovoltaic panels and radiators be used together to maximize heat storage in water?

Yes, it is possible to use both photovoltaic panels and radiators together to maximize heat storage in water. This approach is known as a hybrid system and can provide more consistent and efficient heating. The photovoltaic panels can be used to generate electricity during the day, while the radiator can be used as a backup during cloudy or overcast days.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using photovoltaic panels for heat storage in water?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using photovoltaic panels for heat storage in water. As they rely on renewable energy from the sun, they do not emit any greenhouse gases or contribute to air pollution. This can help reduce the carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change. Additionally, using photovoltaic panels can also reduce the demand for electricity from non-renewable sources, further reducing environmental impact.