Maximizing Learning: The Importance of Showing Your Work in Problem Solving

In summary: Yes, please show us how you got the numbers. Sometimes those auto graders can be quite particular. Also, you can solve the two transcendental equations graphically in the Desmos Graphing Calculator.
Ashish Somwanshi
Homework Statement
Consider an electron in a finite potential with a depth of V0=0.3eV and a width of 10nm.
i) Find the lowest energy level?
ii) Find the second lowest energy level?

Give your answer in unit of eV. Answers within 5% error will be considered correct.

Note that in the lecture titled "Finite Potential Well", the potential well is defined from −L to L, which makes the well width 2L. Plz help solve this homework problem. The answer of 0.03769*10^(-9) mev is incorrect. I have also attached the screenshot
Relevant Equations
E(n) = n^2*h^2/(8mL^2)
images (2).jpeg

Attachments

• my attempt for ground state.pdf
    300.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20221003_190643.jpg
    Screenshot_20221003_190643.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ashish Somwanshi said:
Homework Statement:: Consider an electron in a finite potential with a depth of V0=0.3eV and a width of 10nm.

Give your answer in unit of eV. Answers within 5% error will be considered correct.

Note that in the lecture titled "Finite Potential Well", the potential well is defined from −L to L, which makes the well width 2L. Plz help solve this homework problem. The answer of 0.03769*10^(-9) mev is incorrect. I have also attached the screenshot of incorrect message by autograder.
I do not understand where I went wrong? Formula is correct? It's application is correct and the answer I got in joule I converted to mev by dividing it by 1.6*10^-19 as you can clearly see in my work? Then how come autograder reject the answer?
Ashish Somwanshi said:
Relevant Equations:: E(n) = n^2*h^2/(8mL^2)

View attachment 314956

Welcome to PF!

It seems you are using the formula for the ground state of an infinite potential well to calculate the ground state of a finite potential well. If you review your notes you should see that there is a numerical technique to calculate the ground state when the well is finite. This is why they allowed a 5% variance in the answer I believe.

Likes Steve4Physics, vanhees71, topsquark and 1 other person
bob012345 said:
Welcome to PF!

It seems you are using the formula for the ground state of an infinite potential well to calculate the ground state of a finite potential well. If you review your notes you should see that there is a numerical technique to calculate the ground state when the well is finite. This is why they allowed a 5% variance in the answer I believe.
These are my notes till potential step starting from the finite potential problem. I don't see any numerical technique or formula for energy similar to infinite potential problem. Plzz do show me the numerical technique if it exist...

Ashish Somwanshi said:
These are my notes till potential step starting from the finite potential problem. I don't see any numerical technique or formula for energy similar to infinite potential problem. Plzz do show me the numerical technique if it exist...
There is plenty on the web. Just search "finite potential well." Start with the Wikipedia article.

Likes topsquark
Ashish Somwanshi said:
Sorry, I do not see the link to your notes but the formula you are using is valid for potential wells of infinite depth not finite depth like 0.3eV. I am not sure how your teacher presented this material but here are some notes I found;

http://ursula.chem.yale.edu/~batista/classes/vvv/FiniteSquareWell.pdf

Likes topsquark
Unfortunately, I'm not able to view the contents of link maybe some issue with the website. Can you please upload the square well pdf on the forum. I will download and study it in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashish Somwanshi said:
Unfortunately, I'm not able to view the contents of link maybe some issue with the website. Can you please upload the square well pdf on the forum. I will download and study it in detail.
Try this link then. If you can't get to it just do a search on Finite Potential Well.

https://ph.qmul.ac.uk/sites/default/files/finitewell.pdf

What level is your class?

Likes topsquark
Searching on the net I found some material on finite potential well from Purdue University and there they solve the same problem of the width 10nm and Vo=0.3 eV using a MATLAB program. I entered those answers but they got rejected by the autograder. How is this possible?

Attachments

• phys342_lec5text (4).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20221005_230912.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005_230912.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20221005_230917.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005_230917.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 93
It is possible that you made a mistake somewhere. We cannot tell you where you made a mistake merely by looking at the answer you found. You need to show us the details of your calculation. If it's a MATLAB program that you found on the web and just used, (a) how do you know you can trust it and (b) how do you know you used it correctly?

Last edited:
Likes bob012345 and topsquark
Ashish Somwanshi said:
Searching on the net I found some material on finite potential well from Purdue University and there they solve the same problem of the width 10nm and Vo=0.3 eV using a MATLAB program. I entered those answers but they got rejected by the autograder. How is this possible?
Yes, please show us how you got the numbers. Sometimes those auto graders can be quite particular. Also, you can solve the two transcendental equations graphically in the Desmos Graphing Calculator.

Likes topsquark
The quiz mentions 'the lecture titled "Finite Potential Well".' This is probably where you should be looking to find how to solve this,

Another thing to check is your units and conversions in your calculations. Your ground state value is roughly ten times larger than what it should be given the depth and width of the well.

Ashish Somwanshi said:
Homework Statement:: Consider an electron in a finite potential with a depth of V0=0.3eV and a width of 10nm.

Note that in the lecture titled "Finite Potential Well", the potential well is defined from −L to L, which makes the well width 2L. Plz help solve this homework problem. The answer of 0.03769*10^(-9) mev is incorrect. I have also attached the screenshot
Relevant Equations:: E(n) = n^2*h^2/(8mL^2)

In the future, please post your work in LaTeX to make it easier for us to read and reply to. There is a "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. Thank you.

• Love
Likes bob012345 and malawi_glenn
I got two values of eta

Eta 1=1.466 from which ground state energy was 0.00325 which was correct according to the autograder.
Eta 2 = 4.395 from which second energy was 0.02922, for some reason autograder rejected it. How is it possible for the same method one correct and another incorrect answer?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221007_174710.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007_174710.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20221007_174717.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007_174717.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 80
Ashish Somwanshi said:
How is it possible for the same method one correct and another incorrect answer?
Forget the autograder. You have been asked repeatedly to show your method and you have not done that yet. We cannot answer questions about the method if we don't know what it is. The method is either correct or incorrect and you applied it either correctly or incorrectly. That's what counts and that's what you have control over, not the autograder.

Thanks guys, I've finally solved the question, to find eta value for second energy we had to find intersection of curve with cot(eta) function since it has odd parity and hence find the energy. I've got the correct result for second part of the question as well.

Likes bob012345
kuruman said:
Forget the autograder. You have been asked repeatedly to show your method and you have not done that yet. We cannot answer questions about the method if we don't know what it is. The method is either correct or incorrect and you applied it either correctly or incorrectly. That's what counts and that's what you have control over, not the autograder.
Likewise students are not going to show their work to the teachers much with these electronic homework systems. I have only limited experience but when I taught a physics course some students opted for the ebook and ehomework which I did not really want but had to let them. I preferred the old fashioned paper homework so I could see what the students process was. And while I'm griping about modern teaching methods, the teacher developing material with blackboards and whiteboards is far better than giving the students a PowerPoint presentation.

What is a finite potential well problem?

A finite potential well problem is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential well with finite boundaries. It is often used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as an atom or a nucleus.

What are the key features of a finite potential well?

The key features of a finite potential well include a finite potential barrier, a finite depth of the well, and finite boundaries. These features determine the behavior of a particle within the well and can be adjusted to simulate different scenarios.

How is the finite potential well problem solved?

The finite potential well problem is solved using mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. The solution gives the probability of finding a particle at a certain energy level within the well.

What is the significance of the finite potential well problem?

The finite potential well problem is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces and how they interact with potential barriers. This has applications in various fields, including quantum computing and nuclear physics.

What are some real-world examples of the finite potential well problem?

Some real-world examples of the finite potential well problem include the behavior of electrons in an atom, the behavior of particles in a nucleus, and the behavior of particles in a semiconductor device. It is also used in the study of quantum dots and quantum wells in nanotechnology.