Maximizing S/N in Angular Power Spectrum Signals

In summary, the signal-to-noise ratio for the angular power spectrum signal Cl, which is a function of multipole l, under theoretical noise Nl is given by (S/N)^2= \sum (2l+1) (Cl/Nl)^2. To increase the S/N, it is recommended to bin the power spectrum signal with a bin width of \Delta l, which decreases Nl by a factor of 1/sqrt(\Delta l). This is discussed in Section 3.2.5 of the Planck 2018 results V. CMB power spectra and likelihoods paper. However, binning may not necessarily lead to an increase in the S/N ratio as the cumulative S/N ratio may remain
SherLOCKed
The signal-to-noise ratio for angular power spectrum signal Cl under theoretical noise Nl, where Cl and Nl are functions of multipole l, is given as

(S/N)^2= \sum (2l+1) (Cl/Nl)^2To increase the S/N we bin the power spectrum signal, if bin width \Delta l, this in principle decreases Nl by a factor of 1/sqrt(\Delta l).

Now, in (S/N)^2 should we replace the sum over multipoles with the sum over bin centers?

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks for the response. I checked the paper, it talks about the power spectrum binning. Suppose I bin the power spectrum as described in the paper.
The confusion I had is, if I just sum over the binned multipoles, I will end with the similar cummulative signal-to-noise ratio as before I started binning. So, binning is not necessarily helping to increase the signal-to-noise ratio.

Likes vanhees71
@SherLOCKed I guess one thing that confuses me is why there is a summation over 2 + 1 in this case. That would make sense whenever averaging over all the m modes within a given multipole ℓ. But C is the same for every m mode at a given by assumption of statistical isotropy. So summing over m modes doesn't make sense to me. What does the summation do, and why isn't S/N just quantified as C/N at every multipole?

I agree that because we're considering power, not just amplitude, random noise produces an N that enters your spectrum as a bias, not just as variance. You can't get rid of it by binning multipoles. But for any actual measurement, the noise also causes multipole-to-multipole variance in the estimation of C that would average down through binning.

1. What is the purpose of maximizing S/N in angular power spectrum signals?

The purpose of maximizing S/N (signal-to-noise) in angular power spectrum signals is to improve the accuracy and reliability of measurements in cosmology and astrophysics. By increasing the signal-to-noise ratio, scientists can better distinguish between the true signal and any background noise, leading to more precise measurements and a deeper understanding of the universe.

2. How is the S/N ratio calculated in angular power spectrum signals?

The S/N ratio in angular power spectrum signals is typically calculated by taking the ratio of the signal power to the noise power. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms or by measuring the amplitude of the signal and comparing it to the standard deviation of the noise.

3. What factors can affect the S/N ratio in angular power spectrum signals?

Several factors can affect the S/N ratio in angular power spectrum signals, including instrumental noise, atmospheric conditions, and the sensitivity of the detector. Other factors such as the frequency of the signal and the duration of the observation can also impact the S/N ratio.

4. How can the S/N ratio be improved in angular power spectrum signals?

There are several methods that can be used to improve the S/N ratio in angular power spectrum signals. These include increasing the exposure time, using more sensitive detectors, reducing instrumental noise, and implementing signal processing techniques to filter out background noise. Additionally, careful calibration and data analysis can also help to improve the S/N ratio.

5. What are the potential applications of maximizing S/N in angular power spectrum signals?

The applications of maximizing S/N in angular power spectrum signals are wide-ranging and include cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. By improving the accuracy of measurements, scientists can use this technique to study the structure and evolution of the universe, map the distribution of dark matter, and search for evidence of new particles and phenomena. This can ultimately lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.