Maximum Angle of a Simple Pendulum with Given Parameters

In summary, a simple pendulum with a length of 2.00 m and a mass of 2.00 kg has a speed of 3.00 m/s when it is at a 30.0° angle above its lowest position. To find the maximum angle it will reach, the equation 1/2mv^2(initial) + mgh(initial) = 1/2mv^2(final) + mgh(final) is used, with the correct value for the initial height of 2.00 m. After solving for theta, the correct value is obtained and the mistake of using the incorrect height is corrected.
Carrie

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum of length 2.00 m is made with a mass of 2.00 kg. The mass has a speed of 3.00 m/s when the pendulum is 30.0° above its lowest position.

(a) What is the maximum angle away from the lowest position the pendulum will reach?

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2(initial) + mgh(initial) = 1/2mv^2(final) + mgh (final)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2mv^2(initial) + mgh(initial) = 1/2mv^2(final) + mgh (final)

1/2(2)(3)^2 + (2)(9.8)(2)cos(30) = 1/2(2)(0)^2 + (2)(9.8)(2)cos(theta)
And solving for theta, I get some imaginary number or something. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I just messed up from the beginning.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture: the height is not ##2\cos\theta##.

Oh, oops! I got it now. Thank you!

Well done. Easy mixup to make.

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is able to freely swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. What affects the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the force of gravity, and the angle at which it is released.

3. What is the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is the time it takes for one full swing, or oscillation, from one side to the other and back again.

4. How does the length of a simple pendulum affect its period?

The length of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to its period, meaning that as the length is increased, the period also increases.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of release and the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is not affected by the angle of release, as long as the angle is small (less than 15 degrees).