Maximum Deflection of Brass Beam: Troubleshooting Homework Solution

In summary: Putting this all together I get 11.63e-6m = 0.0116mmThe physical answer I got was 0.29mm.Any ideas on what I am getting wrong?
Jonski

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the maximum deflection in a brass beam, however after taking a physical reading the theoretical answer I get is quite off and I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

Homework Equations

They tell us the max deflection is( Load*Length^3)/(48*E*Second Moment of Area)
They also give us that E = 105GPA for brass

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass was 100g so load = 0.98N
Distance is 0.4 m
The problem I have is finding the correct moment of area as I think this is were I am getting it wrong. I have seen that for a rectangle it would be b*h^3/12
Then I = 0.4*0.00318^/12 = 1.07e-9 m^4
Putting this all together I get 11.63e-6m = 0.0116mm
The physical answer I got was 0.29mm.
Any ideas on what I am getting wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonski said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the maximum deflection in a brass beam, however after taking a physical reading the theoretical answer I get is quite off and I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

Homework Equations

They tell us the max deflection is( Load*Length^3)/(48*E*Second Moment of Area)
They also give us that E = 105GPA for brass

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass was 100g so load = 0.98N
Distance is 0.4 m
The problem I have is finding the correct moment of area as I think this is were I am getting it wrong. I have seen that for a rectangle it would be b*h^3/12
Putting this all together I get 11.63e-6m = 0.0116mm
The physical answer I got was 0.29mm.
Any ideas on what I am getting wrong
Well, you provide some data, but not all which is necessary to analyze this problem.

How was the beam supported?
What were the dimensions of the beam (LxBxD)?
How was the cross section oriented with respect to the load?

Your inertia calculation suggests this beam was 40 cm wide and 3.18 mm thick. That's a very odd set of dimensions for the cross section, almost as if this beam were a strip of brass.

SteamKing said:
Well, you provide some data, but not all which is necessary to analyze this problem.

How was the beam supported?
What were the dimensions of the beam (LxBxD)?
How was the cross section oriented with respect to the load?

Your inertia calculation suggests this beam was 40 cm wide and 3.18 mm thick. That's a very odd set of dimensions for the cross section, almost as if this beam were a strip of brass.

The cross section of the beam was 400mm long 3.18mm height and 19.02mm deep
The set up is shown below

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 10.46.00 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 10.46.00 am.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 470
Jonski said:
The cross section of the beam was 400mm long 3.18mm height and 19.02mm deep
The set up is shown below
You used the wrong dimensions in the inertia calculation. The I is calculated for the cross section of the beam, which is normal to the length axis.

section2.png

The moment of inertia for the beam in the figure above is I = ba3 / 12

SteamKing said:
You used the wrong dimensions in the inertia calculation. The I is calculated for the cross section of the beam, which is normal to the length axis.

section2.png

The moment of inertia for the beam in the figure above is I = ba3 / 12
Thanks, this really helped a lot

Jonski said:
Isn't b equal to 19.02 mm??

1. What is the maximum deflection of a brass beam?

The maximum deflection of a brass beam is the largest amount the beam will bend or deform under a given load. This is an important factor to consider when designing structures, as too much deflection can lead to failure.

2. What factors affect the maximum deflection of a brass beam?

Several factors can influence the maximum deflection of a brass beam, including the beam's material properties, dimensions, and the applied load. The type of support and the beam's boundary conditions also play a role in determining its deflection.

3. How is the maximum deflection of a brass beam calculated?

The maximum deflection of a brass beam can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the beam's material properties, dimensions, and applied load. More complex beam theories may also be used depending on the specific conditions of the beam.

4. What are some common issues that can lead to excessive deflection in a brass beam?

Excessive deflection in a brass beam can be caused by overloading, poor design, or incorrect material selection. Other factors such as temperature changes, vibration, and structural damage can also contribute to increased deflection.

5. How can the maximum deflection of a brass beam be reduced?

The maximum deflection of a brass beam can be reduced by adjusting the beam's material properties or dimensions, redistributing the load, or providing additional support. Proper design and regular maintenance can also help prevent excessive deflection in a brass beam.