Maximum angle of the refracted light beam

In summary, the problem involves a light ray entering a cylindrical glass tube with an index of refraction of 3/2 and submerged in water with an index of refraction of 4/3. The maximum entry angle at which the light ray will only travel inside the glass can be found using Snell's law, and will result in the light ray being reflected within the glass at a critical angle.
Tardis Traveller

Homework Statement

A light ray falls from the air (##n_a=1##) into the center of the upper surface of a long cilindrical glass tube with an index of refraction ##n_t=3/2##. The tube is submerged into water all the way to the upper edge and the waters index of refraction is ##n_w=4/3##. What is the maximum entry angle of the light ray at which it will only be traveling inside the glass?
a)##arcsine(1/6)##
b)##arcsin(\sqrt{15}/6)##
c)##arcsin(\sqrt{17}/6)##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I gues the snells law must be used ##n_1sin(x_1)=n_2sin(x_2)## but i don't get the problem. What is meant by maximum entry angle at which the beam will be traveling inside the cylinder only and how do i get that? I don't know my starting points. Could you hint?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Tardis Traveller said:
dont get the problem
The light ray strikes the top of the cylinder at some angle. Refraction rotates it to a steeper angle within the glass. What might happen next?

haruspex said:
The light ray strikes the top of the cylinder at some angle. Refraction rotates it to a steeper angle within the glass. What might happen next?
I thought about it and i think the refracted ray inside the glass should come to the edge at a critical angle so that all of it gets reflected to the glass again and so on right?

Tardis Traveller said:
I thought about it and i think the refracted ray inside the glass should come to the edge at a critical angle so that all of it gets reflected to the glass again and so on right?
Yes, though I'm not sure what you mean by "and so on" there.

1. What is the maximum angle of the refracted light beam?

The maximum angle of the refracted light beam refers to the angle at which the light ray will bend when passing through a medium with a different density. This angle is known as the critical angle and is dependent on the refractive indices of the two mediums.

2. How is the maximum angle of the refracted light beam calculated?

The maximum angle of the refracted light beam can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles of incidence and refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums. The critical angle can then be found by setting the angle of refraction to 90 degrees.

3. What factors influence the maximum angle of the refracted light beam?

The maximum angle of the refracted light beam is influenced by the refractive indices of the two mediums, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the surface roughness of the medium and the temperature can also affect the critical angle.

4. Why is the maximum angle of the refracted light beam important?

The maximum angle of the refracted light beam is important because it determines whether a light ray will be refracted or reflected when passing through a medium. It also plays a crucial role in various optical phenomena, such as total internal reflection and the formation of rainbows.

5. Can the maximum angle of the refracted light beam be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the maximum angle of the refracted light beam cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at this angle, the light ray will no longer pass through the medium but instead will be completely reflected, known as total internal reflection.