Mirror: refractive index and thickness

In summary: The idea that I have, and that has been approved by my teachers, is the following:1) To measure the refractive index of the glass part, I have to get to the point of total reflection with a laser.2) Once the light comes from that angle, I should not see any fringe on a screen that collects the reflected rays.3) However, I first thought that the disappearance of the fringe will be due to the total reflection of the air-glas interface, which is not possible as the index of the air is lower than the one on the glass. Therefore I thought that the absence of fringe would be due to the total reflection on the glass-air interface (inside the glass part of
HappyBlue

Homework Statement

Hello everyone ! I hope this is the correct place to ask.
Here is my probem: I have to measure the refractive index and the thickness of the glass part of a mirror.

The idea that I have, and that has been approved by my teachers, is the following:
In order to measure the refractive index of the glass part, I have to get to the point of total reflection with a laser. Once the light comes from that angle, I should not see any fringe on a screen that collects the reflected rays. However, I first thought that the disappearance of the fringe will be due to the total reflection of the air-glas interface, which is not possible as the index of the air is lower than the one on the glass. Therefore I thought that the absence of fringe would be due to the total reflection on the glass-air interface (inside the glass part of the mirror), but in that case the angle needed to obtain that inner total reflection is 90° (which means the laser must arrive parallel to te mirror, which is not possible) (I use Snell-Descartes's equtions

Do you have any idea as to how to proceed in order to mesure the refractive index ?

N.B.:This is the part that is blocking me, I already have to equation to measure the thickness of the mirror once I have the index

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
HappyBlue said:
In order to measure the refractive index of the glass part, I have to get to the point of total reflection with a laser.
Do you mean total internal reflection (TIR) inside the glass at the glass-air interface? If so, can you use a prism of some kind to couple the laser into the glass at a low angle?

And it seems like there would be simpler ways to do this. Can you derive both the thickness and refractive index with 2 measurements of laser beam offset using 2 different entry angles? Or does that not give you enough information to calculate both the thickness and refractive index?

What is the refractive index of a mirror?

The refractive index of a mirror is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the mirror material. It is a measure of how much the light is bent when it enters and exits the mirror.

How does the thickness of a mirror affect its refractive index?

The thickness of a mirror has a direct impact on its refractive index. Thicker mirrors have a higher refractive index, meaning they bend light more, while thinner mirrors have a lower refractive index and bend light less.

What is the relationship between the refractive index and the reflectivity of a mirror?

There is a direct relationship between the refractive index and reflectivity of a mirror. Higher refractive index materials have higher reflectivity, meaning they reflect more light and have a brighter appearance.

Why is the refractive index of a mirror important?

The refractive index is important for determining the optical properties of a mirror, such as its reflectivity and ability to focus light. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light as it interacts with the mirror.

How is the refractive index of a mirror measured?

The refractive index of a mirror can be measured using a refractometer, which measures the angle of refraction as light passes through the mirror. It can also be calculated using the mirror's thickness and the speed of light in the mirror material.