Maximum Bending Stress in Cantilevered Steel Channel Beam

In summary: It's not clear from your description if the beam is oriented with the 300 mm dimension in the vertical direction or the 150 mm dimension. In any event, only one of the neutral axis locations will give you the correct value of the bending stress in the beam, and it is not necessarily the one you have chosen.For example, if the beam measures 300 mm deep in the vertical direction, then the y distance to the outer fiber must be based on this depth, and not the distance to the N.A. measured along the 150 mm dimension, which we could call the breadth of the beam, to distinguish it from the depth.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

Okay this is the problem I have:

I have a Steel Channel beam which has an cross sectional height of 300mm. It is 150mm in depth. Its wall thickness is 20mm.

This beam is 6meters long as has a 10kN/m UDL applied. It is fixed at one side and unsupported at the tip.

I have worked out the Neutral Axis about the xx at 44.8214mm and the Moment of Inertia as 32.93x109mm4

I now need to determine maximum tensile bending stress and its exact location in the beam cross section.

Homework Equations

I know maximum bending stress is equal to (max stress = my/I)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know I, and I have YCenter at 150mm and xCenter at 44.8214mm now I don't know how to get Mmax and it's exact distance.

I think Mmax is (L2x10kn/m)/2 but I could be incorrect?

I have attached a picture of my working if that helps

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
SteliosVas said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know I, and I have YCenter at 150mm and xCenter at 44.8214mm now I don't know how to get Mmax and it's exact distance.

This is why you should get in the habit of constructing shear force and bending moment diagrams for these types of beam problems (not just cantilevers, however).

SteamKing said:
This is why you should get in the habit of constructing shear force and bending moment diagrams for these types of beam problems (not just cantilevers, however).

Okay I've got the reaction at the end (left hand side of beam to be) 60kN, and moment to be 180kn.

Where can I go from here?

SteliosVas said:
Okay I've got the reaction at the end (left hand side of beam to be) 60kN, and moment to be 180kn.

Where can I go from here?

I don't understand. Haven't you learned how to construct the shear force and bending moment diagram for a beam, given its loading? This procedure should have been taught and learned before you started tackling stress calculations.

SteamKing said:
I don't understand. Haven't you learned how to construct the shear force and bending moment diagram for a beam, given its loading? This procedure should have been taught and learned before you started tackling stress calculations.

Sorry I didn't convey my understanding properly.

I have found the maximum moment to be 180kn (60kn (UDL as point load) * length of cantilever)

Now I am just worried if my Moment of Inertia is correct or not. I have done it a few times and have different answers all the time.

I also know the y value in the equation given by (just 300mm (size of cross section) - 44.8214mm (where N.A is located) )

I obviously know maximum bending stress in a beam will occur at the fixed end, but as for where it appears in the cross section, will it occur at the top section since it is positive so (300mm-44.8124mm) =257.1786mm?

Last edited:
SteliosVas said:
Sorry I didn't convey my understanding properly.

I have found the maximum moment to be 180kn (60kn (UDL as point load) * length of cantilever)

The correct units for the bending moment are kN-m.

Now I am just worried if my Moment of Inertia is correct or not. I have done it a few times and have different answers all the time.

Why is that? This seems to be a rather simple cross section. The MOI can be calculated in at least a couple of different ways. Each method of calculation should agree with the other. I can't check you calculations because the image you attached is too small for me to read your handwriting.

I also know the y value in the equation given by (just 300mm (size of cross section) - 44.8214mm (where N.A is located) )

I obviously know maximum bending stress in a beam will occur at the fixed end, but as for where it appears in the cross section, will it occur at the top section since it is positive so (300mm-44.8124mm) =257.1786mm?

It's not clear from your description if the beam is oriented with the 300 mm dimension in the vertical direction or the 150 mm dimension. In any event, only one of the neutral axis locations will give you the correct value of the bending stress in the beam, and it is not necessarily the one you have chosen.

For example, if the beam measures 300 mm deep in the vertical direction, then the y distance to the outer fiber must be based on this depth, and not the distance to the N.A. measured along the 150 mm dimension, which we could call the breadth of the beam, to distinguish it from the depth..

SteliosVas said:
I have a Steel Channel beam which has an cross sectional height of 300mm. It is 150mm in depth. Its wall thickness is 20mm.

I have worked out the Neutral Axis about the xx at 44.8214mm and the Moment of Inertia as 32.93x109mm4

You might want to re-check your MOI calculation. The MOI of the channel cannot be greater than the MOI for a rectangular section which is 300 mm deep by 150 mm wide. Your MOI seems high, by at least two orders of magnitude. It's a simple calculation; you can type it into a reply message rather than posting an image.

What is cantilevered beam deflection?

Cantilevered beam deflection is the amount of bending or deformation that occurs in a beam that is supported at one end and has a load applied at the other end.

What factors affect cantilevered beam deflection?

The factors that affect cantilevered beam deflection include the length of the beam, the type of material it is made of, the magnitude and location of the applied load, and the cross-sectional shape of the beam.

How is cantilevered beam deflection calculated?

Cantilevered beam deflection can be calculated using various formulas and equations, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory. These methods take into account the material properties, load, and geometry of the beam to determine its deflection.

What are the applications of cantilevered beam deflection?

Cantilevered beam deflection is an important concept in structural engineering and is used in the design of various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and mechanical components. It is also relevant in fields such as aerospace, where deflection of cantilevered structures can affect their performance.

How can cantilevered beam deflection be minimized?

There are several ways to minimize cantilevered beam deflection, such as increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, changing the material to one with a higher stiffness, or adding additional support points along the beam's length. Proper design and placement of supports and reinforcements can also help reduce deflection.