Maximum current through a capacitor

In summary, a 2200 µF capacitor is charged to 12 V and discharged through an electric motor, lifting a 50 g mass through a height of 24 cm. After charging to 12 V again, the capacitor is discharged through a 16 Ω resistor. The time constant is RC = 35ms and the maximum current flowing through the circuit is 0.75A, taking into consideration the initial maximum current when the capacitor is charging or discharging. The information about the electric motor was used to calculate the time constant.
FelaKuti

Homework Statement

A 2200 µF capacitor is charged to a potential difference of 12 V and then discharged through an electric motor. The motor lifts a 50 g mass through a height of 24 cm.
The capacitor is charged to 12 V again and then discharged through a 16 Ω resistor
Determine the time constant and the maximum current flowing through the circuit.

Homework Equations

[/B]
C = Q/v
RC = t
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The time constant would be RC = 35ms
I feel like this should be really simple but I can't figure out the maximum current. I know when a capacitor charges or discharges the current is initially at a maximum then falls. If the maximum voltage across the resistor is 12V, then I figure the maximum current flowing would be 0.75A but that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use the information about the electric motor? If so, how?

1. What is the maximum current that can flow through a capacitor?

The maximum current that can flow through a capacitor is determined by the capacitance and the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor. It is calculated by the equation I = C * dV/dt, where I is the maximum current, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage.

2. How does the maximum current through a capacitor change with time?

The maximum current through a capacitor is initially high when the capacitor is first connected to a voltage source, but it decreases over time as the capacitor charges up. Once the capacitor is fully charged, there is no more current flowing through it.

3. Can the maximum current through a capacitor exceed its rated capacity?

No, the maximum current through a capacitor cannot exceed its rated capacity. Exceeding the rated capacity can damage the capacitor and cause it to fail.

4. How does the maximum current through a capacitor compare to the maximum current through a resistor?

The maximum current through a capacitor is generally higher than the maximum current through a resistor, as a capacitor can store and release energy more quickly than a resistor. However, the maximum current through a resistor is constant, while the maximum current through a capacitor decreases over time.

5. What factors can affect the maximum current through a capacitor?

The maximum current through a capacitor can be affected by the capacitance, the rate of change of voltage, and the characteristics of the circuit it is connected to. Additionally, the type and quality of the capacitor can also impact the maximum current it can handle.