Maximum G-Force Tolerance for Human Body: Can We Withstand Hypersonic Speeds?

In summary, the fastest velocity the human body can withstand depends on the acceleration it experiences. Trained and fit individuals can withstand up to 9 times the acceleration of gravity for brief periods of time. The Space Shuttle astronauts withstood several g's during launch, which is the most relevant scenario for hypersonic aircraft. It is possible for people to circle the globe in a matter of minutes, but the acceleration needed for such speeds may be too much for the human body to withstand.
Mind Bender
I'm fascinated by hypersonic aircraft. But what is the fastest velocity the human body can withstand? Mach 6, Mach 8? I look forward to the day when people can circle the globe in a matter of minutes. Will this be possible?

Biology news on Phys.org
Mind Bender said:
I'm fascinated by hypersonic aircraft. But what is the fastest velocity the human body can withstand? Mach 6, Mach 8? I look forward to the day when people can circle the globe in a matter of minutes. Will this be possible?

Going a constant velocity in a vehicle is not an issue. It is the acceleration that generates forces on the body (F=ma). The right question to ask is how much acceleration can the human body withstand over an extended period.

Trained and fit aircraft fighter pilots can withstand 9 times the acceleration of gravity (one "g" = 9.8m/s^2) for brief periods of time. The Space Shuttle astronauts withstand (withstood) several g's while accelerating to orbit (you can probably find the acceleration profile on NASA's website somewhere). The Space Shuttle launch profile is probably the most applicable to your final question in the post above.

berkeman said:
Trained and fit aircraft fighter pilots can withstand 9 times the acceleration of gravity (one "g" = 9.8m/s^2) for brief periods of time.
If I remember correctly this is true for vertical g-force, for horizontal g-force 2 or 3 times more is survivable.

Related to Maximum G-Force Tolerance for Human Body: Can We Withstand Hypersonic Speeds?

What is tolerance to high velocity?

Tolerance to high velocity is the ability of an object or material to withstand and maintain its structural integrity when exposed to high speeds or velocities. This can refer to both mechanical and thermal stresses caused by high velocity forces.

How is tolerance to high velocity measured?

Tolerance to high velocity is typically measured using impact or shock testing. This involves subjecting the object or material to high-speed impacts or sudden changes in velocity and measuring its response, such as deformation or failure.

Why is tolerance to high velocity important?

Tolerance to high velocity is important in various fields, such as aerospace, defense, and automotive industries, where objects or materials may be subjected to high speeds or impacts. It ensures the safety and reliability of these components and structures.

What factors affect tolerance to high velocity?

The ability to withstand high velocities depends on several factors, including material properties, design and geometry, and the type and intensity of the high-speed forces. Temperature and environmental conditions may also play a role.

How can tolerance to high velocity be improved?

Tolerance to high velocity can be improved through material selection, design optimization, and the use of protective coatings or structures. Thorough testing and analysis can also help identify weak points and improve overall tolerance to high velocity.