How High Does the Apple Reach When Thrown at 55 Degrees?

In summary, the apple reaches the second floor balcony of the buddy who caught it on the way down with an initial speed of 14m/s at an angle of 55° above the horizontal. The maximum height of the ball is 8.99m.
rlee1089

Homework Statement

You want to throw an apple to your buddy on the second floor balcony that is 2.2m above where you release the apple. When you throw the apple with a speed of 14m/s at an angle of 55° above the horizontal, it gets to your buddy who catches it on the way down. Find the maximum height of the ball.

Homework Equations

v=vo+at
y=yo+vot+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for [t] using v=vo+at in the y direction:
0=11.47-9.8t
t=1.17s

I plugged in the [t] to solve for [y], maximum height:
y=2.2+11.5(1.17)+1/2(-9.8)(1.17)^2
y=8.99m

This was a quiz from weeks ago. My professor scribbled something about how I shouldn't "add that" in the above equation, which I'm suspecting is the part about 2.2m. If that's the issue, why shouldn't I put 2.2m as my initial y value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer seems right to me (approximately... I got 8.91, but you approximated before the end so that can justify the difference).

I don't know what your professor meant, perhaps you should ask him/her.

Edit: Good call, goraemon; Lesson learned: Read carefully.

Last edited:
rlee1089 said:

Homework Statement

You want to throw an apple to your buddy on the second floor balcony that is 2.2m above where you release the apple. When you throw the apple with a speed of 14m/s at an angle of 55° above the horizontal, it gets to your buddy who catches it on the way down. Find the maximum height of the ball.

Homework Equations

v=vo+at
y=yo+vot+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for [t] using v=vo+at in the y direction:
0=11.47-9.8t
t=1.17s

I plugged in the [t] to solve for [y], maximum height:
y=2.2+11.5(1.17)+1/2(-9.8)(1.17)^2
y=8.99m

This was a quiz from weeks ago. My professor scribbled something about how I shouldn't "add that" in the above equation, which I'm suspecting is the part about 2.2m. If that's the issue, why shouldn't I put 2.2m as my initial y value?

The problem states that the friend's balcony is 2.2m above where you release the apple. So that's why you shouldn't put 2.2m as your "initial y value."

In fact, the whole bit of information surrounding 2.2m is a red herring - it is completely irrelevant to the answer you're asked to find - which is simply, how high does the ball go given that you released it with an initial speed of 14m/s at 55° above horizontal.

goraemon said:
The problem states that the friend's balcony is 2.2m above where you release the apple. So that's why you shouldn't put 2.2m as your "initial y value."

In fact, the whole bit of information surrounding 2.2m is a red herring - it is completely irrelevant to the answer you're asked to find - which is simply, how high does the ball go given that you released it with an initial speed of 14m/s at 55° above horizontal.

I see it now...So it was just an irrelevant piece of information, eh? Thank you for clarifying that! It was driving me insane. :P

The reason why you should not add 2.2m as your initial y value is because it is already included in the initial vertical velocity (vo) of the apple. In this problem, the initial vertical velocity of the apple is not 0m/s, it is 11.47m/s (found using the given speed and angle). Therefore, when you plug in the value of [t] in the equation for [y], you should not add 2.2m as this will result in double counting the initial vertical displacement. This is why your professor scribbled not to "add that" in the above equation. The correct equation for finding the maximum height of the ball would be:

y=11.47(1.17)+1/2(-9.8)(1.17)^2
y=8.99m

This will give you the correct answer of 8.99m, which is the maximum height of the ball.

1. What factors affect the maximum height of a ball?

The maximum height of a ball is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is launched, and the effects of air resistance and gravity.

2. How can the maximum height of a ball be calculated?

The maximum height of a ball can be calculated using the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Is the maximum height of a ball affected by the mass of the ball?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the maximum height. However, a heavier ball may experience more air resistance and therefore not reach the same maximum height as a lighter ball with the same initial velocity and launch angle.

4. Can the maximum height of a ball exceed the initial height?

No, the maximum height of a ball cannot exceed the initial height. This is due to the effects of gravity, which will always cause the ball to eventually fall back to its initial height.

5. How does air resistance affect the maximum height of a ball?

Air resistance acts against the motion of the ball and decreases its maximum height. This effect is more significant for objects with larger surface areas, such as a feather, compared to objects with smaller surface areas, such as a bullet.