Maximum hole diameter to prevent water leakage

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of making a hole in an empty bottle submerged in water to prevent water from leaking into the bottle at different depths. The parameter involved in this phenomena is surface tension and a book reference is requested for further calculation. The surface tension of water is approximately 72 mN/m at room temperature and this can be used along with the dimensions of a circular hole to determine the necessary pressure to prevent water from leaking into the bottle.
danex
TL;DR Summary
I have a empty bottle and immersed it into the water, where the pressure inside the bottle is equal to air pressure. If I want to make a hole on the bottle, how big is the hole to prevent the water leak into the bottle at different depth?
I have a empty bottle and immersed it into the water, where the pressure inside the bottle is equal to air pressure. If I want to make a hole on the bottle, how big is the hole to prevent the water leak into the bottle at different depth?
what kind of parameter is involve in this phenomena? can some one help me to calculate?
or maybe you can give me a book reference to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
danex said:
Summary:: I have a empty bottle and immersed it into the water, where the pressure inside the bottle is equal to air pressure. If I want to make a hole on the bottle, how big is the hole to prevent the water leak into the bottle at different depth?

what kind of parameter is involve in this phenomena? can some one help me to calculate?
or maybe you can give me a book reference to solve it.
What effect are you talking about here?

At a guess, you are talking about surface tension. So you want a hole on the top or bottom of the bottle where the water under pressure corresponding to its depth is restrained by surface tension from dripping into the interior of the bottle.

Google says: "The surface tension of water is about 72 mN/m at room temperature"

Can you put that together with the dimensions of a circular hole to arrive at a figure for pressure?

1. What is the maximum hole diameter that can prevent water leakage?

The maximum hole diameter to prevent water leakage depends on various factors such as water pressure, type of material, and the thickness of the material. Generally, a hole with a diameter of less than 0.25 inches is considered small enough to prevent water leakage.

2. Can a larger hole diameter be used if the material is thicker?

Yes, a larger hole diameter can be used if the material is thicker. Thicker materials have a higher resistance to water pressure, so a larger hole diameter can still prevent water leakage. However, it is important to consider the type of material and the water pressure before determining the maximum hole diameter.

3. Does the type of material affect the maximum hole diameter for preventing water leakage?

Yes, the type of material does affect the maximum hole diameter for preventing water leakage. Materials such as rubber and silicone have higher elasticity and can withstand larger hole diameters without causing water leakage. On the other hand, materials such as plastic and metal have lower elasticity and may require smaller hole diameters to prevent water leakage.

4. How does water pressure impact the maximum hole diameter for preventing water leakage?

Water pressure is a crucial factor in determining the maximum hole diameter for preventing water leakage. Higher water pressure can easily force water through larger holes, causing leakage. Therefore, the higher the water pressure, the smaller the maximum hole diameter should be to prevent leakage.

5. Is there a universal maximum hole diameter for preventing water leakage?

No, there is no universal maximum hole diameter for preventing water leakage. The maximum hole diameter depends on various factors such as water pressure, material type, and thickness. It is important to consider these factors and conduct proper testing to determine the maximum hole diameter for a specific situation to prevent water leakage.