Maximum Speed for Circular Turns: Radius Doubling Question Explained

In summary, the maximum uniform circular velocity is limited by the static frictional force of the tires on the pavement. To calculate the maximum velocity, you need to take into account the radial acceleration.
micjk

Homework Statement

The maximum speed with which a car can take a circular turn of radius R is v. The maximum speed with which the same car, under the same conditions, can take a circular turn of radius 2R is

A. 2v
B. v√2
C. 4v
D. 2v√2

Homework Equations

v = (2πr)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Since radius is directly proportional to the velocity, wouldn't the answer just be A. 2v because doubling the radius would double the velocity? The correct answer is B. and I have no idea as to why. Could someone please explain why. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
micjk said:

Homework Statement

The maximum speed with which a car can take a circular turn of radius R is v. The maximum speed with which the same car, under the same conditions, can take a circular turn of radius 2R is

A. 2v
B. v√2
C. 4v
D. 2v√2

Homework Equations

v = (2πr)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Since radius is directly proportional to the velocity, wouldn't the answer just be A. 2v because doubling the radius would double the velocity? The correct answer is B. and I have no idea as to why. Could someone please explain why. Thank you

The maximum uniform circular velocity, is limited by the static frictional force of the tires on the pavement.
So, Newton's 2nd law gives us $$∑F = f = m a_{\text{rad}}=\frac{m v^2}{R}$$
The maximum friction for available is fmax = usm g.
So, you need to consider the radial acceleration, $$a_{\text{rad}}=\frac{v^2}{R}$$ Try again with taking these equations into account, keeping in mind that the coefficient of static friction, hence f, will be the same regardless of the speed.

Last edited:
Likes micjk
Mitchel Haas said:
The maximum uniform circular velocity, is limited by the static frictional force of the tires on the pavement.
So, Newton's 2nd law gives us $$∑F = m a_{\text{rad}}=\frac{m v^2}{R}$$
So, you need to consider the radial acceleration, $$a_{\text{rad}}=\frac{v^2}{R}$$ Try again with taking this equation into account, keeping in mind that the coefficient of static friction, hence f, will be the same regardless of the speed.

Ok I think I got it. Since in this case, the centripetal force is equal to the frictional force between the tires and the pavement, I can say that Fcentripetal = Ffrictional and therefore (m*v2)/2R = μ*m*a. I can solve for v and get v = √(2R * μ * a). I can also disregard μ since the frictional force will be constant. Then I can replace a with (v2)/R to get v = √(2R * v2/R. Simplifying that expression with give me maximum v = v√2
Is that correct?

Likes Mitchel Haas
micjk said:
Ok I think I got it. Since in this case, the centripetal force is equal to the frictional force between the tires and the pavement, I can say that Fcentripetal = Ffrictional and therefore (m*v2)/2R = μ*m*a. I can solve for v and get v = √(2R * μ * a). I can also disregard μ since the frictional force will be constant. Then I can replace a with (v2)/R to get v = √(2R * v2/R. Simplifying that expression with give me maximum v = v√2
Is that correct?

Yes, this is correct, and you're using the proper reasoning. Be sure to distinguish between v1 and v2

Likes micjk
Mitchel Haas said:
Yes, this is correct, and you're using the proper reasoning. Be sure to distinguish between v1 and v2

Thank you!

Last edited:

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. The object's speed and direction are constantly changing, but it stays the same distance from the center of the circle.

What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a force acting towards the center of the circle, known as centripetal force. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion is related to Newton's laws of motion in that the first law states that an object will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts as this external force, keeping the object moving in a circular path.

What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is a fictitious force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle due to its inertia. In reality, centrifugal force is not a true force, but rather an apparent force caused by the object's inertia.

How is circular motion used in real life?

Circular motion has many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of tires on a car, and the motion of a ceiling fan. It is also used in amusement park rides, such as the Ferris wheel and roller coasters.