Circular Motion with Decreasing Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between tangential speed and radius in a circular motion scenario. The proof shows that the centripetal force is equal to the tangential force, and when the radius is halved, the tangential speed must also be halved in order to maintain this equality. The attempt to double the tangential speed by decreasing the radius and increasing the speed is proven to be incorrect. The correct relationship is that the new tangential speed is half the original speed when the radius is halved.
uSee2
Homework Statement
One end of a string is attached to a ball, with the other end held by a student such that the ball is swung in a horizontal circular path of radius R at a constant tangential speed. At a later time, the tension force exerted on the ball remains constant, but the length of the string is decreased to R/4. What is the new tangential speed of the ball?
Relevant Equations
##F_c = \frac {mv^2} R##
The answer key states that the new tangential speed is half the original speed. However, this isn't correct right? It should double.

My proof:

##F_c = \frac {mv^2} R##
##F_c = F_t##
##\frac {mv^2} {\frac R 4} = \frac {m(2v)^2} R## If centripetal force were to stay constant.
As such, tangential velocity should double right? It should not half?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic is faulty. The centripetal force is, as you say, ##F_c =\frac{mv^2}{R}.## For the fraction to remain constant, if the denominator is decreased by a factor of 4, the numerator must also decrease by a factor of 4. Since the speed in the numerator is squared (##v^2=v*v##), each of the v's must decrease by a factor of 2 when the radius is decreased by a factor of 4.

Likes uSee2, scottdave and topsquark
kuruman said:
Your logic is faulty. The centripetal force is, as you say, ##F_c =\frac{mv^2}{R}.## For the fraction to remain constant, if the denominator is decreased by a factor of 4, the numerator must also decrease by a factor of 4. Since the speed in the numerator is squared (##v^2=v*v##) each of the v's must decrease by a factor of 2 when the radius is decreased by a factor of 4.
But couldn't the denominator decrease and the numerator increase instead and give the same ratio?

##\frac {mv^2} {\frac R 4} * \frac 4 4 = \frac {4mv^2} R##
Then it is equal to
##\frac {m(2v)^2} R##
Isn't this true?

uSee2 said:
But couldn't the denominator decrease and the numerator increase instead and give the same ratio?

Then it is equal to
##\frac {m(2v)^2} R##
Isn't this true?
Try using two different symbols for the first velocity and the second velocity.

$$\frac {mv_1^2} {R} = \frac {mv_2^2} {\frac R 4}$$

Well I cannot get my Latex to display correctly, but try it on your own.

Last edited:
Likes uSee2 and TSny
uSee2 said:
No. The new ratio must be the same as the old ratio.
Old ratio = ##\frac{mv^2}{R}##.
New ratio (according to you) = ##\frac{m(2v)^2}{R}.##

Are they the same?

Likes uSee2
uSee2 said:

Then it is equal to
##\frac {m(2v)^2} R##
Isn't this true?
Yes, and that is exactly what the answer key says. The new tangential speed, v, is half the original, 2v.

Likes uSee2
haruspex said:
Yes, and that is exactly what the answer key says. The new tangential speed, v, is half the original, 2v.
kuruman said:
No. The new ratio must be the same as the old ratio.
Old ratio = ##\frac{mv^2}{R}##.
New ratio (according to you) = ##\frac{m(2v)^2}{R}.##

Are they the same?
I do see that they aren't the same. But when I tried it again with different symbols just like @scottdave said:

2 is after the label for when radius is reduced, 1 is the label for before.

##F_{c2} = \frac {mv_2^2} {R_2}##

##F_{c1} = \frac {mv_1^2} {R_1}##

##F_{c1} = F_{c2}##

##R_2 = \frac 1 4 {R_1}##

##\frac {mv_1^2} {R_1}= \frac {mv_2^2} {R_2}##

##\frac {mv_1^2} {R_1}= \frac {mv_2^2} {\frac 1 4 R_1}## Substitution of ##R_2 = \frac 1 4 {R_1}##

Multiply each side by ##\frac {R_1} {m}##

##\frac {v_2^2} {\frac 1 4} = v_1^2##

##v_2^2 = 4v_1^2##

Take the square root of each side

##v_2 = 2v_1##

The new speed is double the original speed I think, I may have made an error though.

uSee2 said:
##\frac {v_2^2} {\frac 1 4} = v_1^2##

##v_2^2 = 4v_1^2##
Check how you went from the first equation to the second equation.

Likes scottdave and uSee2
TSny said:
Check how you went from the first equation to the second equation.
Ohh!! I can't believe I made that mistake. Thank you so much for catching that. I see now that ##v_2 = \frac 1 2 v_1##

Likes scottdave

1. What is circular motion with decreasing radius?

Circular motion with decreasing radius is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path while its distance from the center of rotation decreases over time. This can occur due to a decrease in the speed of the object or an increase in the centripetal force acting on the object.

2. What causes circular motion with decreasing radius?

Circular motion with decreasing radius is caused by a change in the velocity or centripetal force acting on an object. This change can be due to external forces such as friction or gravity, or it can be caused by the object's own inertia.

3. How is circular motion with decreasing radius different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed and the radius of its circular path remains the same. In circular motion with decreasing radius, the speed of the object changes and the radius of its circular path decreases over time.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion with decreasing radius?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion with decreasing radius, the centripetal force must increase in order to maintain the object's motion as the radius decreases.

5. How is circular motion with decreasing radius relevant in real life?

Circular motion with decreasing radius is relevant in many real-life situations, such as the motion of a car turning a corner, the orbit of a satellite around a planet, or the motion of a rollercoaster on a loop. It is also important in understanding the concept of acceleration, as the change in velocity in circular motion with decreasing radius is an example of acceleration.