Maximum voltage that can be applied to DC circuit with resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of ##V_{ac}## and expressing it mathematically in terms of ##V_{ab}## or ##V_{bc}## or ##P_{max}##. The exercise also mentions specific values for ##R1##, ##R2##, ##R3##, and ##P_{max}##. The conversation suggests using symbols for ##P_{max}## and ##R_i## and using the equivalent resistance if the parallel circuit is difficult.
Sokolov
Homework Statement
In a DC circuit, two resistors ##R_1## and ##R_2## are connected in parallel, and a third resistor ##R_3## is connected in series with them, as shown in the picture. If the maximum power that each of these 3 resistors can hold is ##P_{max}##, which would be the maximum voltage that could be applied between the points a and b?
Relevant Equations
Kirchhoff's laws: ##I_1+I_2=I_3##
The power dissipated by a resistor: ##P=I^2R=IV=V^2/R##
circuit.png

I see that ##V_{ac}=V_{ab}+V_{bc}##, with ##V_{ab}=I_1R_1=I_2R_2## and ##V_{bc}=I_3R_3##.

However, I don't see how to express mathematically the maximum value of ##V_{ac}##. Could someone please help me with this task?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sokolov said:
how to express mathematically the maximum value of ##V_{ac}##
Can you do it with ##V_{ab}## or ##V_{bc}## ?

BvU said:
Can you do it with ##V_{ab}## or ##V_{bc}## ?
I think that the result must be given in terms of ##P_{max}##. The exercise ask also to apply the result for the particular case that ##R1=2.8 kΩ, R2=3.7 kΩ, R3=1.8 kΩ## and ##P_{max}=0.5W##

I agree, but you must start somewhere. Use ##P_{\text {max}} ## and ##R_i## (as symbols).
How many equations witth how many unknowns do yuo have ? Do you have to distinguish cases ?

If the parallel circuit is annoying, use the equivalent resistance.

1. What is the maximum voltage that can be applied to a DC circuit with resistors?

The maximum voltage that can be applied to a DC circuit with resistors depends on the resistance value of the resistors in the circuit. The maximum voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Therefore, the maximum voltage can be increased by decreasing the resistance or by increasing the current in the circuit.

2. Can the maximum voltage be exceeded in a DC circuit with resistors?

Yes, the maximum voltage can be exceeded in a DC circuit with resistors if the voltage source is not regulated or if the resistance value of the resistors is not taken into consideration. This can lead to overheating and damage to the resistors and other components in the circuit.

3. How do I determine the maximum voltage for a specific DC circuit with resistors?

To determine the maximum voltage for a specific DC circuit with resistors, you will need to know the resistance value of each resistor in the circuit. You can then use Ohm's Law to calculate the maximum voltage by multiplying the total resistance of the circuit by the maximum current that can flow through it.

4. What happens if the maximum voltage is exceeded in a DC circuit with resistors?

If the maximum voltage is exceeded in a DC circuit with resistors, it can cause the resistors to overheat and potentially fail. This can also cause damage to other components in the circuit and may result in a short circuit or fire.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with the maximum voltage in a DC circuit with resistors?

Yes, it is important to always use a regulated power supply and to carefully calculate and monitor the maximum voltage in a DC circuit with resistors. It is also important to use resistors with appropriate power ratings to prevent overheating and damage. Additionally, always follow proper safety procedures and wear protective equipment when working with electricity.