Maximum Wavelength of Photon - electron ejection

In summary, the equation that I wrote is wrong because I am getting a negative number for my wavelength, and the wavelength is too small anyways.
max8404
I have worked on this problem for about an hour, looked through the book lots of times, and honestly just don't know how to get it done. So I am here with all you fellow physicists for help! :)

Homework Statement

X rays bombarding heavy atoms can be used
to eject electrons from the 1s shell in atoms;
indeed, this is the starting point for Moseley’s
experiments.
Estimate the maximum wavelength of pho-
tons required to eject an electron from the 1s
shell of copper, for which Z = 29. Planck’s
constant is 6.63 × 10−34 J · s and the speed of
light is 3 × 108 m/s2. Answer in units of nm.

Homework Equations

here is what I have found:
E=hc/lambda
lambdamin=hc/Ko
E=-(z)^2x13.6eV/n^2

These may seem like random equations, but honestly, these are all the ones I think that may be relevant. I can't figure out a starting point here at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving several times. I assume that since we are ejecting the electron from the 1S shell, it has very high energy since it's so close to the nucleus. I tried this

-z^2x13.6eV/n^2=hc/lambda to solve for lambda, but I am stuck with what to do with the quantum number. Does ejecting the electron from 1s change the n from 1 to something else?

Thanks

Edit: What's weird is that the question also asks to "estimate" the max wavelength. Does that in any way change anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you could ask yourself what is the minimum energy to eject the electron from the 1s shell. Since wavelength is inversely proportional to energy, it is the same as asking the maximum wavelength.

Second, you want to eject the electron from the 1s shell to out of the atom completely. You should remember that the 1s shell is n=1, and escaping the atom is the same as n=infinity.

And third, be careful with the units.

nickjer said:
First, you could ask yourself what is the minimum energy to eject the electron from the 1s shell. Since wavelength is inversely proportional to energy, it is the same as asking the maximum wavelength.

Second, you want to eject the electron from the 1s shell to out of the atom completely. You should remember that the 1s shell is n=1, and escaping the atom is the same as n=infinity.

And third, be careful with the units.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say with the first sentence. I think I took everything you said in consideration, but the equation that I wrote is wrong since I am getting a negative number for my wavelength, and the wavelength is too small anyways. Could you give me another hint or re explain the first part?

Thanks!

The core electron is bound to the atom by positively charged nucleus. So you need some energy to dig it out of there (similar to it being stuck in a well). If you give it too little of energy, then it will jump up but not be able to escape. You need to give it just the right amount of energy or more than that for it to escape. So there is a minimum energy needed. Since the energy is inversely proportional to the wavelength, this is the same as saying you need a maximum wavelength.

As for your your negative wavelength, it is because you are not taking into account that the photon is transitioning the electron from one state to another. Initially the electron is in state n=1, but we want the final state to be n=infinity. So your equation should look like:

[tex]E_f - E_i = hf[/tex]

and becomes...

[tex]E_{\infty} - E_1 = hf[/tex]

P.S.: They use the word "estimate" because this equation is not exact for real atoms other than the hydrogen atom.

nickjer said:
The core electron is bound to the atom by positively charged nucleus. So you need some energy to dig it out of there (similar to it being stuck in a well). If you give it too little of energy, then it will jump up but not be able to escape. You need to give it just the right amount of energy or more than that for it to escape. So there is a minimum energy needed. Since the energy is inversely proportional to the wavelength, this is the same as saying you need a maximum wavelength.

As for your your negative wavelength, it is because you are not taking into account that the photon is transitioning the electron from one state to another. Initially the electron is in state n=1, but we want the final state to be n=infinity. So your equation should look like:

[tex]E_f - E_i = hf[/tex]

and becomes...

[tex]E_{\infty} - E_1 = hf[/tex]

P.S.: They use the word "estimate" because this equation is not exact for real atoms other than the hydrogen atom.

Hey, thanks a lot for this explanation, I really appreciate it! :)

Related to Maximum Wavelength of Photon - electron ejection

What is the maximum wavelength of a photon that can cause electron ejection?

The maximum wavelength of a photon that can cause electron ejection is known as the threshold wavelength, which varies depending on the material and its properties. For example, the threshold wavelength for copper is around 255 nanometers.

How does the maximum wavelength of a photon affect the energy of the ejected electron?

The maximum wavelength of a photon is inversely proportional to the energy of the ejected electron. This means that as the wavelength of the photon increases, the energy of the ejected electron decreases. This relationship is known as the photoelectric effect.

What is the relationship between the maximum wavelength of a photon and the work function of a material?

The maximum wavelength of a photon is directly proportional to the work function of a material. The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron from the surface of a material. As the maximum wavelength of a photon increases, the work function also increases.

Can the maximum wavelength of a photon be calculated?

Yes, the maximum wavelength of a photon can be calculated using the equation λ = hc/E, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and E is the energy of the ejected electron. This equation is derived from the relationship between energy and wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum.

What is the significance of the maximum wavelength of a photon in modern technology?

The maximum wavelength of a photon is important in many modern technologies, such as solar cells and photodetectors. Understanding this concept allows for the development of more efficient and effective devices that utilize the photoelectric effect. Additionally, it is crucial in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of electrons in materials.