Maxwell Boltzmann distribution

In summary, the MB curve shows the distribution of speed, while the FD curve shows the distribution of energy. The MB curve peaks at a speed of 2kT/m, while the FD curve peaks at a greater energy.
Rzbs
TL;DR Summary
Difference between Maxwell Boltzmann and fermi dirac distribution
In the Aschcroft & Mermin solid state book there is a curve to compare F.D and M.B distribution. I can't understand the concept of M.B curve; what does mean exactlly when x =0? It means the probability of zero energy for particles is most or ...?

Screenshot_20200907-134217.png
Screenshot_20200907-134145.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure 2.1 seems odd; it appears to be plotting the distribution of velocity (note, velocity, not speed) versus kinetic energy. The energy distribution does not have a maximum at zero. Look up the MB distribution; observe its forms for the distribution of velocity, speed and energy.

Equation 2.1 is the distribution of vectorial velocity, i.e. with a particular direction as well as magnitude (or alternatively, a particular set of components {vx, vy, vz}). It has a maximum at zero velocity. The distribution of the speed is found by summing Eq. 2.1 over all directions (or all sets of {vx, vy, vz} that give the same magnitude v), and is given by
f(v) = 4πv2f(v)
This has a value of zero at v=0, and a maximum at a finite v. The energy distribution goes as E1/2e-E/kT

Thanks so much for your simple description.
Now I can understand the difference between graph for speed, energy and velocity.

But I can't understand "what fig2.1 try to say", it shows if x decreases then the probability increases. The plot is Ae^(-x). The meaning of x=0 is have zero velocity.
Does it mean if T increases then x decreases and the probability for have less velocity increases?

Last edited:
Figure 2.1 is a very bad graph. It is plotting the probability of one variable (velocity) against a different variable (energy/kT). All it really shows, qualitatively, is that MB and FD are very different.
If T increases, the distribution broadens, and the probability at low velocities decreases. The x-axis in Fig 2.1 is E/kT, and the distribution of (E/kT) is independent of temperature.

Likes Rzbs
Thanks. I thought so but I wasn't sure. You really help me to understand this. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Usually there is a ## v^2 ## factor on the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, and the peak speed (## v_{mp}=##most probable speed) occurs at ## v_{mp}=(2kT/m)^{1/2} ##.

Last edited:
Likes Rzbs

1. What is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas or liquid at a given temperature. It is named after physicists James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who independently developed the distribution in the late 19th century.

2. What does the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution tell us about particle speeds?

The distribution tells us that the majority of particles in a gas or liquid have speeds close to the average speed, with fewer particles having higher or lower speeds. This is known as a bell-shaped or Gaussian distribution.

3. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The shape of the distribution is affected by the temperature and mass of the particles. As temperature increases, the distribution becomes broader and flatter, with more particles having higher speeds. As mass increases, the distribution becomes narrower and taller, with fewer particles having higher speeds.

4. How is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution used in physics?

The distribution is used to calculate the average speed, root-mean-square speed, and most probable speed of particles in a gas or liquid. It is also used to understand and predict the behavior of gases and liquids in various physical and chemical processes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The distribution assumes that the particles in a gas or liquid are in thermal equilibrium, meaning they are all at the same temperature. It also assumes that the particles do not interact with each other except through collisions. These assumptions may not hold true in all situations, leading to deviations from the predicted distribution.