Why use this premise behind the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve?

• B
  • Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the Maxwell-Boltzmann gas molecule speed distribution and the question of why it is derived in terms of velocity instead of energy. The premise is that the velocity components in each dimension form a normal curve, whereas energy is bounded at zero. The underlying axioms and principles of statistical physics are also mentioned, with suggestions for further reading.
snoopies622
TL;DR Summary
Specifically, why are the molecular speeds in any given direction a normal curve? Why not the kinetic energies instead?
I'm trying to understand the Maxwell-Boltzmann gas molecule speed distribution. Suppose we have a container of gas such that all the molecules are identical.

At first I was under the mistaken impression that one starts with the premise that the distribution of their translational kinetic energies is a normal curve, and taking the square roots of these energies to get the speeds gives us the chi curve.

But after further reading, I guess instead the premise is that for each of the three dimensions of space, one assumes that the velocity components in that direction for all the molecules form a normal curve, then squaring those, adding them together and taking the square root to get the absolute speeds is what produces the chi distribution.

I realize that there may not be an answer to this question but, why is the normal curve in the speeds and not the energies? Why does nature prefer one over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, as I understand it, the question is why p and not E?

Most texts - including Wikipeda- derive it in terms of E starting from in terms of p.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
You know that the average velocity of gas molecules is zero in the bulk rest frame, so you have a symmetric probability distribution of velocity components in each dimension. So it's at least possible it's a normal distribution. But you can't say the same for energy - it is bounded at zero, so it cannot be normally distributed.

Likes Vanadium 50 and snoopies622
Thank you both. I've done a little more reading about this since i posted this question and realize it's not as simple a matter as i thought.

I'm always interested in the underlying premises, the axioms as it were.

Here's an interesting video where the function is apparently derived using the pressure/altitude formula - an approach which surprises me.

If you want to understand more fundamentally where the MB distribution comes from, starting from the barometric equation makes no sense, since it itself comes from a more fundamental basis. (The ideal gas law, which is the other thing used in the video, can also be derived from more basic principles, even though historically it is an empirical law.)

You should pick up a good book on statistical physics. Alternatively:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
http://www.sns.ias.edu/~tlusty/courses/statphys/statphys.pdf

Likes snoopies622 and BvU
And 'Physical Chemistry' by P. Atkins is also a good read ...

Likes snoopies622 and DrClaude
DrClaude said:
. . starting from the barometric equation makes no sense, since it itself comes from a more fundamental basis.
I did find it troubling that one could start with an approach that assumes a gravitational field to arrive at a relationship which doesn't involve gravity at all.

snoopies622 said:
I did find it troubling that one could start with an approach that assumes a gravitational field to arrive at a relationship which doesn't involve gravity at all.
The thing is that probability of being in a given state goes as ##\exp(-E/kT)##.

snoopies622 said:
the axioms as it were.
Really, physics doesn't work that way. It's more "lets see how far these guesses and assumptions will take us." Often with the guesses and assumptions being known to be wrong at some level.

1. Why is the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve important in thermodynamics?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann curve is important in thermodynamics because it illustrates the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas at a given temperature. This allows us to understand the behavior of gases and make predictions about their properties.

2. What is the premise behind the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve?

The premise behind the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve is that the speed of particles in a gas follows a normal distribution, with most particles having an average speed and a smaller number of particles having higher or lower speeds. This distribution is affected by temperature, with higher temperatures resulting in a wider distribution of speeds.

3. How does the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann curve is a graphical representation of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. The curve shows the distribution of kinetic energies of particles at a given temperature, with a higher temperature resulting in a wider distribution of energies.

4. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve is affected by temperature, the type of gas, and the mass of the gas particles. Higher temperatures result in a wider and flatter curve, while lighter gas particles will have a higher peak and a narrower curve compared to heavier particles.

5. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve used in real-world applications?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann curve is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of gas-powered engines and in the study of atmospheric gases. It is also used in the development of new materials, as the curve can provide insights into the behavior of particles in different environments and temperatures.