Maxwell Stress Tensor: Engineering Question Answered

In summary, the Maxwell Stress Tensor can be used to calculate the torque on a rotor where the airgap is held constant, but it is not appropriate for calculating the torque on a motor where the airgap is changing.
mind_inertia
Hello!

I was talking with a friend today about electrical motors and we started talking about theoretical designs. One question came up which was could the Maxwell Stress Tensor be used to calculate the torque on a rotor of a motor where the airgap is held constant and the magnetic circuit length changes instead of the airgap like motors are designed with.

Could someone who is more physics savy than myself answer my theoretical engineering question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a quick look. Here is what I think. Stress tensor arises as a result of invariance with respect to translations. So it contains linear momentum density flow (momentum and energy).

Torque is the rate of change of angular momentum. Angular momentum conservation corresponds to invariance with respect to rotations. So you need to go back to the Lagrangian density of the electromagnetic field and see what conservation law you get if you consider invariance under rotations. This will give you the current for the flow of angular momentum density, and this will give you the torque.

So in short. My answer is no. Maxwell stress tensor is for linear momentum, not angular one. But I could be wrong as this is the first time I did this rough calculation.

Of course what is possible, is to calculate linear force based on Maxwell Stress Tensor, and then convert it to torque through knowledge of the geometry of the object. I.e. if you find that field exerts more linear force on one of the stick, the stick will start spinning. This will allow you to find the torque

Last edited:
Likes mind_inertia
Thank you for your analysis Cryo! In electromagnetic simulation packages the Maxwell Stress Tensor is industry standard to calculate torques but from your answer I feel you are saying that Torques shouldn't be able to be calculated from the Maxwell Stress Tensor. Do I understand you correctly?

If so I wish to highlight the focus of my question. The torque of an electric motor is related to the change of airgap, the motor moves to minimize reluctance by shortening the air gap. Another method of minimizing reluctance and thereby deriving motion is by changing the effective magnetic circuit length. I feel that the MST should be able to calculate it but since this is a theoretical problem I thought it is best to approach physicists, particularly because I am unsure of how to use Tensors effectively on paper. I am slowly digesting the works of Kron in regards to applying Tensors to electrical engineering problems but it's a slow journey for me!

Thanks again.

1. What is the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is a mathematical concept used in engineering to describe the distribution of stress in a material. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell, a Scottish physicist and mathematician who first introduced the concept in the 19th century.

2. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor calculated?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is calculated using the Maxwell stress equations, which are a set of equations derived from Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. These equations take into account the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the material properties of the medium, to determine the stress at any point in the material.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell Stress Tensor in engineering?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is an important tool in engineering as it allows for the prediction and analysis of stress in materials under the influence of electric and magnetic fields. This is particularly useful in the design and development of electrical and electronic devices, as well as in the study of materials under extreme conditions.

4. Can the Maxwell Stress Tensor be used in other fields besides engineering?

While the Maxwell Stress Tensor was originally developed for use in engineering, it has also found applications in other fields such as physics, materials science, and even biology. It can be used to study the behavior of materials under various external forces, making it a versatile tool in scientific research.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

Like any mathematical model, the Maxwell Stress Tensor has its limitations. It assumes that the material is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as temperature and time-dependent behavior, which may also affect the stress distribution in a material.