Maxwell's Equation's From Klein Gordon

• I
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Klein
In summary, the conversation discusses how the source-free Maxwell's equations can be derived from the Klein Gordon equation and how the Lorentz Force Law can be obtained from the Lagrangian. It is also mentioned that this method cannot be used to prove the absence of magnetic monopoles, as it is an empirical observation.
This is a follow on from the following thread where I put a little 'challenge' to the OP.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/when-can-klein-gordon-equation-be-used-for-photon.906767/

It probably didn't really interest him so he didn't do it, but I thought I would post it anyway - its quite interesting - you wouldn't think it would be this easy.

First you need to read the following to see how you get the source free Maxwell's equations from the Klein Gordon:
http://cds.cern.ch/record/944002/files/0604169.pdf

I will work in units c=1

First you see what happens if the E field is no longer source free by defining p =∇.E. Call p the charge density and reasonably assume whatever it is, is conserved so the continuity equation δp/δt + ∇.J = 0 applies. Reasonably we call J the current density. Let U = ∂E/∂t + J. Then ∇.U = 0 ie you can find a B' ∇XB' = ∂E/∂t + J. Of course this holds even when J=0 so ∇XB' = ∇XB and ∇XB = ∂E/∂t + J.

You then have the 4 Maxwell equations.

Does anyone want to see how you then get the Lorentz Force Law? Its from writing out the Lagrangian but will be happy to post the outline.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This can't be used to show that there's no magnetic monopoles, right? Isn't that just an empirical observation?

hilbert2 said:
This can't be used to show that there's no magnetic monopoles, right? Isn't that just an empirical observation?

Correct. That's why I only gave a source to the E field.

Thanks
Bill

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations provide a unified framework for understanding the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. They also predict the existence of electromagnetic waves, which led to the development of technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

3. How are Maxwell's equations related to the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. It can be derived from Maxwell's equations by considering the quantum nature of electromagnetic fields.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the Klein-Gordon equation in the context of Maxwell's equations?

The Klein-Gordon equation describes the behavior of spinless particles, such as the Higgs boson, in an electromagnetic field. It is used to study the effects of quantization and relativistic corrections on the behavior of these particles.

5. Are Maxwell's equations still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Maxwell's equations are still fundamental to our understanding of electromagnetism and are used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications. They have also been extended and modified to incorporate new discoveries and theories, such as quantum electrodynamics and general relativity.