Coulomb Klein Gordon: Where does e^(-iEt) come from?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Klein Gordon equation with the Coulomb Potential and the confusion around the assumption that the time dependence has the form of a trivial phase factor. This assumption is made because it is an eigenfunction of the operator ##\left(i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)^2## and the solutions being looked for are stationary states.
xhwvnsghsfasd
Hi everyone,

I've been reading about the Klein Gordon equation with the Coulomb Potential. The full solution can be found here:

http://wiki.physics.fsu.edu/wiki/in...#Klein-Gordon_equation_with_Coulomb_potential

I'm confused near the beginning of this. I understand that the solution is going to look like

$$\Phi(r,t) = R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)T(t)$$

since this is radially symmetric and a second order linear homogeneous partial differential equation, so it is separable. What I don't understand is why all the solutions I look at assume

$$T(t)=e^{-iEt/\hbar}.$$

I've looked up a number of solutions and they all make this assumption without explanation, so I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious. Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an eigenfunction of ##\left(i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)^2##, isn't it? In this kind of solutions, the stationary states are looked for, meaning that the time dependence has the form of a trivial phase factor.

Likes xhwvnsghsfasd

1. What is the significance of e^(-iEt) in the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation?

The term e^(-iEt) represents the time dependence of the wavefunction in the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation. It is a complex exponential function that describes how the amplitude and phase of the wavefunction change over time.

2. How is the value of e^(-iEt) determined?

The value of e^(-iEt) is determined by solving the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes the evolution of quantum systems over time. The solution of this equation yields a complex exponential function, e^(-iEt), as the time dependence of the wavefunction.

3. What does the "i" in e^(-iEt) represent?

The "i" in e^(-iEt) represents the imaginary unit, which is defined as the square root of -1. It is a mathematical concept used to describe complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component. In the context of the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation, the "i" represents the imaginary part of the time-dependent wavefunction.

4. How does e^(-iEt) relate to energy in the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation?

The term e^(-iEt) is raised to the power of the energy, E, in the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation. This means that it describes the relationship between the time-dependent wavefunction and the energy of the system. The amplitude and phase of the wavefunction will vary depending on the energy of the system, which is reflected in the value of e^(-iEt).

5. Can e^(-iEt) be used to calculate the probability of a particle's position in the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation?

No, e^(-iEt) alone cannot be used to calculate the probability of a particle's position in the Coulomb Klein Gordon equation. This term only describes the time dependence of the wavefunction and does not provide information about the position of the particle. The probability of a particle's position can be calculated using the square of the wavefunction, which includes the term e^(-iEt) as well as other components.