Maybe nursing wasn't the right choice

• Thread starter totustuus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the speaker is currently in a nursing program and chose nursing for financial reasons. However, they have found a love for chemistry and plan to pursue a biophysics MD/PhD program after graduation. They are seeking textbook and online resources for their summer courses and asking for suggestions for a major/double major when they go back to school. They also ask for advice and mention their wife's interest in clinical trials. The speaker may face some criticism for their nursing background but they are determined to pursue their new passion.
totustuus
Just as a warning: I'm functioning on very little sleep right now, so my apologies in advance if I don't make much sense at times. :)

I am currently more than halfway through a nursing program, partly because AP credits covered much of the core curriculum at my school. To put it bluntly, several of my professors said I would be bored with nursing, as did a few nurses I shadowed about a year ago. I confess that I mainly chose nursing because of my family and our financial state. The possibility of landing a job shortly after graduation is very likely for me. I want to help my family, but I still feel like I made a mistake. In the end it was my choice, so I really shouldn't complain.

That brings me to my main reason for writing this today... I declared a chemistry minor recently, and I'm in love. (Don't forget physiology, microbiology, and probability & statistics!) I plan on taking general chemistry I and II, calculus I and II, and organic chemistry I over the summer. Biochemistry is optional for the minor, but I'm going to take it eventually. I hope to go back to a different university after I am through with the nursing program, and possibly apply for a biophysics MD/PhD program. I'm not even 20 and planning to stay in school forever. :) I'm fortunate in that two of my former science professors offered to write me letters of recommendation, and so did a surgeon I know quite well. I'm aware that experience in a clinical setting/research is extremely important.

1. Could you suggest textbooks and resources online (etc.) that could help me get more out of the classes I will take over the summer? (I frequently visit MIT's OCW and Khan Academy.)

2. Do you think my background in nursing will be frowned upon, even if I learned from my mistakes by giving into my traditional family?
(The truth is that I didn't have my "ah ha!" moment with math and science until about two years ago. I've always done well in those subjects, but I never came to really appreciate the elegance of them.)

3. I am interested in Harvard for the MD/PhD program. "Courses in math, calculus, physics, chemistry, biology, and biochemistry would provide an ideal background for a student’s coursework in specialized areas of biophysics." (http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/hils/biophysics.html) Could you give me some suggestions for a major/double major when I go back to school after I'm done with the nursing program?

4. Any more advice you want to give me?

Thank you very much, this really is a wonderful site.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno, but it sounds like you might be able to find a happy medium in clinical research.

My wife is a doula, recently retired because she's become more fascinated with clinical trials and research, which she does through the hospital. She often deals directly with patients who volunteer for the trials, so it takes advantage of both aspects of her knowledge.

She's in her 50's so it's not like you have to do it all in your early years.

Not much help beyond that.

You're planning to take 5 courses this summer?? That's an awful lot. I think most people take one or two courses over the summer. Don't underestimate the work that is needed for these courses...

A good resource for calculus are Pauls notes: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ Check them out!

I do think you'll find some people who will frown upon your nursing background. But try to ignore those people. Don't spend much time on what other people think of you, it's useless.

You may want to consider some Advanced Practice nursing opportunities before you go in a completely different direction.
My wife is nearly finished with her master's and will be a CRNA (Nurse anesthetist), and she is looking at a salary well into the six figures.

I can understand your concerns and confusion about your chosen career path. It's common for individuals to question their choices, especially when faced with new interests and opportunities. However, it's important to remember that it's never too late to change direction and pursue your passions.

First and foremost, I want to commend you for recognizing your love for chemistry and other sciences. It takes courage to admit when a career path may not be the best fit for you, and it's admirable that you are taking steps to explore other options.

In terms of resources for your summer courses, I would recommend reaching out to your professors and academic advisors for recommended textbooks and online resources. Additionally, you can also seek out study groups or tutoring services on campus to supplement your learning.

Regarding your background in nursing, I don't believe it will be frowned upon. In fact, having a diverse background and experiences can often be seen as an asset in the scientific community. Your passion for science and your determination to pursue a biophysics MD/PhD program will speak volumes about your commitment and dedication.

For a major/double major when you go back to school, I would suggest speaking with advisors at the university you plan to attend. They can provide you with more specific recommendations based on your interests and career goals.

My advice to you is to continue exploring your interests and pursuing your passions. Your journey may not be traditional, but that does not make it any less valuable or successful. Keep seeking out opportunities to gain experience in clinical settings and research, and don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in your desired field for guidance and advice.

Best of luck to you in your academic and career pursuits. Remember, it's never too late to follow your dreams.

1. Why do you think nursing may not have been the right choice for you?

As a scientist, I have always been curious and analytical by nature. However, I found that nursing required more hands-on and interpersonal skills, which may not have been my strength.

2. Did you face any challenges while pursuing nursing?

Yes, I faced challenges in keeping up with the fast-paced and demanding nature of the nursing profession. I also struggled with the emotional toll of caring for patients and their families.

3. What made you realize that nursing may not have been the right career path for you?

After working in the nursing field for some time, I found that I was not as fulfilled and passionate about my work as I had hoped. I also noticed that my skills and strengths were better suited for other fields.

4. Do you regret choosing nursing as your career?

No, I do not regret choosing nursing as my career. It provided me with valuable experiences and taught me important skills such as empathy, critical thinking, and teamwork. These skills have been beneficial in my current career as a scientist.

5. What advice do you have for others who may be questioning their choice of nursing as a career?

I would advise them to reflect on their strengths, interests, and values to see if they align with the nursing profession. It is also important to seek guidance from mentors and explore other career options that may better suit their skills and interests.