MCNP -- What is meant by 2M and 20R?

Anisur Rahman
TL;DR Summary
MCNP Importance
Screenshot 2023-10-06 221708.png
What is meant by 2M and 20R here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

M I didn't know, but I and R are common. I means interpolate, R means repeat and M turns out to mean multiply.
So in any long list of numbers,
5 20M 20M
Would be the same as,
5 100 2000
and
7 8R
Would be the same as,
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
and
1 8I 10
Would be the same as,
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(I think, I make a lot of off by one errors using I, it's not in your question but it saves soooo much effort writing tally bins you should know it)

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Thank you so much!

Likes berkeman

What does 2M mean in MCNP?

In MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle), 2M refers to a specific format of the input file or a section within the input that uses two million particles for the simulation. This designation helps in specifying the scale or the extent of the simulation, impacting both the accuracy and computational requirements.

What does 20R mean in MCNP?

In the context of MCNP, 20R typically refers to a tally multiplier or a specification related to the geometry setup, such as a radius of 20 units (e.g., centimeters) in a spherical geometry. The specific meaning can vary depending on the context within the input file or the simulation parameters.

How does changing the value from 2M to 20R affect MCNP simulations?

Changing values from 2M to 20R in an MCNP simulation could imply a shift from a particle count specification to a geometric or tally specification, which fundamentally changes how the simulation is conducted. While 2M focuses on the number of particles used, 20R could alter the physical dimensions or scaling of the modeled system, thus affecting the outcome and interpretation of the results.

Are 2M and 20R standard settings in MCNP or can they be customized?

Both 2M and 20R are not standard settings; they can be customized based on the specific requirements of the simulation. MCNP allows users to define a wide range of parameters, including particle counts and geometric dimensions, to suit different experimental or research needs.

Where in the MCNP input file would you typically find parameters like 2M and 20R?

Parameters like 2M and 20R are typically found in different sections of the MCNP input file depending on their purpose. 2M, related to particle count, is often set in the source definition or simulation parameters section. In contrast, 20R, if it refers to a geometric parameter, would be located in the cell or surface definitions that describe the physical layout of the simulation environment.