SSW of a translated cell (via TRCL)?

• Thread starter 19matthew89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the conversation is about tracking and writing a source file using the SSW card for particles entering a specific cell that has been defined using the TRCL card. The original cell is a cylinder at the origin, but the person is interested in a translated cell along the z-axis. They have not found information in the manual about this situation and are wondering if it is possible. They ask for guidance on how to write the SSW card, giving an example with the original surfaces and translated cell in parentheses. The conversation also includes the codes and commands for defining the cell and tracking the particles.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
How to employ SSW to track particles entering/exiting a translated cell?
Hi everyone,
I'd like to track and write a source file (via SSW card) with the particles entering a specific cell which has been defined employing the TRCL card. So the "original" cell is a cylinder defined at the origin but the cell I'm interested in is translated along the z-axis. I've searched but I haven't found anything in the manual about this specific circumstance. Is that even possible?

How shall I write the SSW card? With the original surfaces and the translated cell in parenthesis (see example below)?

Code:
10 1 -2.95 -100 101 -102
11 LIKE 10 BUT TRCL(0 0 40)
12 LIKE 10 BUT TRCL(0 0 -40)

100  CZ  0.8
101  PZ  -10.0
102  PZ  10.0

KCODE 10000 1 30 130
SSW -100 (10) 101 (10) -102 (10)
        -100 (11) 101 (11) -102 (11)
        -100 (12) 101 (12) -102 (12)

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
for any help!Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is possible to track and write a source file for a translated cell using the SSW card. In your example, you have correctly identified the original cell (defined by the surfaces 100, 101, and 102) and the translated cell (defined by the surfaces 100, 101, and 102 with the TRCL card).

To write the SSW card, you can use the syntax that you have provided: -100 (10) 101 (10) -102 (10) for the original surfaces and -100 (11) 101 (11) -102 (11) for the translated surfaces. This will track and write the source file for particles entering the translated cell.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is SSW in the context of a translated cell?

SSW stands for "sum of squared weights" and is a measure of the overall weight of a translated cell in a given organism.

2. How is SSW calculated for a translated cell?

SSW is calculated by taking the sum of the squared weights of all the individual components of a translated cell, including proteins, lipids, and other biomolecules.

3. What role does SSW play in the functioning of a translated cell?

SSW is an important factor in determining the stability and functionality of a translated cell. A higher SSW value indicates a more robust and stable cell, while a lower SSW value may indicate potential issues or dysfunctions.

4. How does the translation process affect SSW?

The translation process, which involves the synthesis of proteins from mRNA, directly impacts the SSW of a translated cell. The types and amounts of proteins produced during translation can greatly influence the overall SSW value.

5. Can SSW be used to compare translated cells from different organisms?

Yes, SSW can be used as a comparative measure between translated cells from different organisms. However, it should be noted that SSW values may vary based on the specific characteristics and functions of each organism's translated cells.