Mean drift velocity of a conduction electron in copper.

So even though the electrons themselves are moving slowly, the light turns on almost instantly because the electric field is transmitted at the speed of light. In summary, the mean drift velocity of a conduction electron in copper, assuming one electron per atom, is 0.018 cm/s. This is very slow, but the electric field is transmitted at the speed of light, which is why an electric light turns on almost instantly when the switch is flipped.
Minakami

Homework Statement

Estimate the mean drift velocity of a conduction electron in copper, assuming that there is one conduction electron per atom. Consider No. 14 wire (diamter 0.16 cm), common in houses, carrying 5A. The result should be very small. Why then does an electric light turn on almost instantly when you flip the switch?

Homework Equations

I = qnLvd=nAqvd

The Attempt at a Solution

Density of copper = 8.94 g/cm3
Molar mass = 63.546 g/mol

amount of copper per cubic cm:
Density/Molar mass = 0.14068 mol/cm3 = 8.47 x 1022 atoms/cm3

so

vd = I/nAq = (5 A) / (8.47 x 1022 atoms/cm3)(pi * 0.08 cm)2(1.609 x 10-19 C)
= 0.018 cm/s

Did I do this correctly? And I have no idea about the second question...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation is fine and the answer is about what I would expect.
The electron drift velocity is very slow, but they move in response to the applied electric field. The field is transmitted through the wire at the speed of light.

What is the mean drift velocity of a conduction electron in copper?

The mean drift velocity of a conduction electron in copper is the average speed at which the electrons move through the material when an electric field is applied. It is measured in meters per second.

How is the mean drift velocity of a conduction electron in copper calculated?

The mean drift velocity is calculated by dividing the applied electric field by the electron mobility of copper, which is a material-specific constant. This value is then multiplied by the charge of an electron.

What factors affect the mean drift velocity of conduction electrons in copper?

The mean drift velocity can be affected by temperature, as higher temperatures can increase the speed of the electrons. The density and structure of the copper material can also impact the electron mobility and therefore the mean drift velocity.

Why is the mean drift velocity of conduction electrons in copper important?

The mean drift velocity is important because it helps us understand the flow of electricity through copper materials. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding electrical conductivity and resistance, which are crucial in many technological applications.

How does the mean drift velocity of conduction electrons in copper compare to other materials?

The mean drift velocity of conduction electrons in copper is relatively high compared to other materials, such as semiconductors or insulators. This is due to the high electron mobility and density of copper, making it a highly conductive material.