Calculating Collision Frequency of Electrons in Copper Cube

In summary, it would take a cube of Copper metal with an edge length of 1 cm about 10^-30 seconds to traverse the edge.
hnnhcmmngs
Homework Statement
Verify the claim of Section 7.2 that the electrons of a metal collide with the surface at a rate of about 10^30 per second per square centimeter. Do this by estimating the collision frequency of electrons in a 1.00-cm cube of copper metal with one face of the cube surface. Assume that each copper atom contributes one conduction electron to the metal (the chemical valence of copper is 􏰄1) and that these conduction electrons move freely with kinetic energy equal to 7.00 eV.
Relevant Equations
I don't know which equations are relevant for this question.
Homework Statement: Verify the claim of Section 7.2 that the electrons of a metal collide with the surface at a rate of about 10^30 per second per square centimeter. Do this by estimating the collision frequency of electrons in a 1.00-cm cube of copper metal with one face of the cube surface. Assume that each copper atom contributes one conduction electron to the metal (the chemical valence of copper is 􏰄1) and that these conduction electrons move freely with kinetic energy equal to 7.00 eV.
Homework Equations: I don't know which equations are relevant for this question.

First, I just determined the number of electrons per cm^3 knowing the density of copper is 8.95 g.cm^3.
n = 6.02 * 10^23 atoms/mol * 8.95 g/cm^3 * 1 mol/63.5 g = 8.48 * 10^23 electrons/cm^3
I also determined the speed of each electron.
v = sqrt(2E/M) = 1.57 * 10^6 m/s
I just don't know how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hnnhcmmngs said:
Homework Statement: Verify the claim of Section 7.2 that the electrons of a metal collide with the surface at a rate of about 10^30 per second per square centimeter. Do this by estimating the collision frequency of electrons in a 1.00-cm cube of copper metal with one face of the cube surface. Assume that each copper atom contributes one conduction electron to the metal (the chemical valence of copper is 􏰄1) and that these conduction electrons move freely with kinetic energy equal to 7.00 eV.
Homework Equations: I don't know which equations are relevant for this question.

First, I just determined the number of electrons per cm^3 knowing the density of copper is 8.95 g.cm^3.
n = 6.02 * 10^23 atoms/mol * 8.95 g/cm^3 * 1 mol/63.5 g = 8.48 * 10^23 electrons/cm^3
I think you might be off by 1 order of magnitude there. You might want to double check your exponents.
I also determined the speed of each electron.
v = sqrt(2E/M) = 1.57 * 10^6 m/s
I just don't know how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated!

Given your velocity calculation, how long would it take for a single electron to travel in a cube of 1 cm length, from one side to the other, if it just moves freely?

Or better yet, since you're only supposed to consider a single side, how long would it take for the round trip: where it starts at one side, bounces off the opposite side, and then returns to the original side?

Well the answer varies as it depends on what "level" you have reached. A crude treatment gives answer as $1/6×n×v$ which on refining gives $1/4×n×v$. If you treat electron as Fermi Dirac gas,then the answer is to evaluate partition function and use partition function(See Reif, Fundamentals of Statistical And Thermal Physics)

What is the purpose of calculating collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube?

The purpose of calculating collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube is to determine the rate at which electrons collide with the atoms of the copper cube. This can provide valuable information about the electrical conductivity and thermal properties of the copper cube.

How is collision frequency of electrons calculated in a copper cube?

Collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube can be calculated using the formula: ν = (1/2) * (n * v * σ), where ν is the collision frequency, n is the number of electrons per unit volume, v is the average velocity of the electrons, and σ is the cross-sectional area of the copper cube.

What factors can affect the collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube?

The collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube can be affected by factors such as the density of the copper cube, the temperature of the copper cube, and the number of impurities or defects in the copper cube's crystal lattice structure.

Why is it important to calculate collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube?

Calculating the collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube is important because it can provide insight into the behavior of electricity and heat in the material. It can also help in the design and optimization of electronic devices that use copper as a conductor.

How can the collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube be experimentally determined?

The collision frequency of electrons in a copper cube can be experimentally determined by measuring the electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity of the copper cube, and then using these values in the collision frequency formula. It can also be determined through various spectroscopic techniques that analyze the movement of electrons in the material.