Mean Input Power & Q value , Damped Harmonic Motion

In summary, the equation that the student is working on is that Q = ω_0/ϒ. They are trying to find the maximum value for P as a function of ##\omega##, but are stuck because they do not know F_0. They are given an equation for Q as a function of the bandwidth and are able to solve for w_0.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

33333.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm working on part a.

The numerical value of Q.

I have an equation stating that Q = ω_0/ϒ.

I don't really know what ϒ is, in other places (http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waves/node13.html) it seems like the frequency.

But, I also do not have w_0. So perhaps this is the wrong equation or perhaps I am looking at it wrong.

I also have: P_max = (1/2) * (Q*F_0^2)/(m*w_0)
but I do not think this helps directly.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
but I do not think this helps directly
Correct. What would help is an expression for P as a function of ##\omega##. Because from the picture you can see that P halves when you are ##\omega/50## away from ##\omega_0## ...

Time to fill in the blank under "2. Homework Equations " :rolleyes:

Likes RJLiberator
Sometimes with foreign topics it is hard to know what is a relevant equation and what is irrelevant :p.

P(w) = F_0^2*w_0/(2*K*Q) * [1/((w_0/w-w/w_0)^2 + 1/Q^2)]

At w = w_0, we get it to be maximized.

P(w) = F_0^2*w_0*Q/2K

i'm not entirely sure how this helps, tho.
As we do not know F_0, other then that it is held constant.
w_0 is unknown, but you are saying that P halves when we are w/50 away from w_0. Why 50?

If we take (1/2)*P(w) = F_0^2*w_0*Q/4K

That doesn't seem to help.

I am guessing that I am not making a connecting between F_0, K, and w_0?

From the picture we see ##P(\omega_0 + \omega_0/50) = {1\over 2} P(\omega_0)##. A lot of the factors that bother you divide out when you work out this equation...and who knows, you end up with something containing ##Q## ...

Likes RJLiberator
It would be instructive to look up the definition of the Q factor. There is a definition that involves bandwidth (-3 dB, or half-power points) that will be of particular interest.

Likes RJLiberator
Definition of Q factor : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor

So, reformatting my previous equation we see:

2*K*P(w_0)/w_0*F_0^2 = Q

How would the definition of Q help me here? I would think that we are looking for Q so we do not want to replace it with anything.

Maybe this is it: P(max) = Q*F_0^2/(2m*w_0)
If I input this in for P(w_0) then we see

k*Q/(m*w_0^2) = Q
But then I cancel out Q and I'm stuck.

k/(m*w_0^2) = 1

RJLiberator said:
How would the definition of Q help me here? I would think that we are looking for Q so we do not want to replace it with anything.
Sure you would! Q has a definition in terms of the bandwidth. The bandwidth is defined in terms of the half-power points. You are given the half power points on the diagram in terms of the resonant frequency ##\omega_o##. So, what's the bandwidth on your diagram?

Likes RJLiberator
0.04w_0 = bandwidth = Q ?

RJLiberator said:
0.04w_0 = bandwidth = Q ?
Go back to the Wikipedia page and look at the definition of Q in terms of the bandwidth!

Likes RJLiberator
Aha.,

f_0/The change in frequency = Q

So, w_0/0.04*w_0 = 1/0.04 = 25 is the value for Q!

RJLiberator said:
Aha.,

f_0/The change in frequency = Q

So, w_0/0.04*w_0 = 1/0.04 = 25 is the value for Q!
Huzzah! Yes!

Likes RJLiberator
Solved ! Thank you kindly.

1. What is Mean Input Power?

Mean Input Power is the average rate at which energy is transferred to a system. In the context of damped harmonic motion, it is the average power input that is required to maintain the oscillations of the system.

2. How is Mean Input Power calculated?

Mean Input Power is calculated by taking the integral of the instantaneous power over one complete cycle of the oscillation. This can be represented by the equation P = (1/T)∫p(t)dt, where T is the period of the oscillation and p(t) is the instantaneous power.

3. What is the significance of Mean Input Power in damped harmonic motion?

In damped harmonic motion, the Mean Input Power represents the amount of energy being dissipated due to damping forces. This dissipated energy is what causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time.

4. What is the Q value in damped harmonic motion?

The Q value, also known as the quality factor, is a dimensionless parameter that represents the ratio of the stored energy to the energy dissipated per cycle in a damped harmonic oscillator. It is calculated by dividing the resonance frequency by the width of the resonance peak.

5. How does the Q value affect damped harmonic motion?

A higher Q value indicates a system with less damping, meaning that the energy dissipated per cycle is relatively small compared to the stored energy. This results in a longer decay time and a more pronounced resonance peak. On the other hand, a lower Q value indicates a system with more damping, leading to a quicker decay of oscillations and a less pronounced resonance peak.