Mean Radius of Annulus with Bolt Hole Pattern

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the effective mean radius of an annulus with a pattern of holes on a pitch circle diameter (PCD). The value of the PCD affects the effective mean radius, but it is unclear how to calculate it for friction torque transmission calculations. One person suggests a formula for calculating mean radius, but it is uncertain if it applies to all hole patterns and if the stiffness of materials is a factor.
j0nr
Hello all,

I am trying to remember (I did it in Uni) how to calculate the effective mean radius of an annulus that contains a pattern of holes on a PCD.

Consider the following image (pinched from: https://www.solenoid-valves.com/ ):
PCD%20jpg.JPG

If one was to vary the value of PCD, then the effective mean radius would change (I believe). But how do you work out the effective mean radius for purposes of friction torque transmission calcs?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thought I might add...as I've been thinking about it...depending on the stiffness of the materials, if this is considered a constant pressure application, then mean rad would just be:

[tex] \frac{2}{3} ( \frac{ (r_1^3-r_2^3) }{ (r_1^2-r_2^2) } ) [/tex]

...regardless of hole pattern...I think.

What is the definition of mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern?

The mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern is the average distance from the center of the annulus to the center of the bolt holes. It takes into account the size and spacing of the bolt holes in the annulus.

How is the mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern calculated?

The mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern is calculated by adding the distance from the center of the annulus to the center of each bolt hole and dividing by the total number of bolt holes.

Why is the mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern important in engineering?

The mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern is important in engineering because it is used to determine the strength and stability of structures that use bolted connections. It is also used in the design and analysis of bolted joints to ensure proper fit and functionality.

What factors can affect the mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern?

The size and spacing of the bolt holes, as well as the shape and dimensions of the annulus, can affect the mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern. Additionally, any variations in the manufacturing process can also impact the accuracy of the mean radius measurement.

How can the mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern be measured?

The mean radius of annulus with bolt hole pattern can be measured using a variety of methods, such as calipers, coordinate measuring machines, or optical measurement devices. The method used will depend on the accuracy and precision required for the specific application.