Meaning of having powerful signal near to 0Hz

In summary: The power spectral density (PSD) is useful to see the amplitude and frequency of the oscillatory components in the original signal.
ramesses
Hello
I computed, with python scipy.rfft, the Fourier transform of signal coming from an accelerometer.
I don't understood what this is the meaning of having a powerful signal near to 0 Hz ?
2Cn90YwiS1U5.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
It means that there is a strong DC (or near DC) component to the signal. It may just be a voltage offset, or it may be the acceleration of gravity. It depends on how the signal is coupled and how the circuit is adjusted.

When we analyze many different data sets for the oscillatory components (temperature, tides, sounds) we often take a pre-analysis step to remove the DC or near DC components. Sometimes, it is just subtracting the mean of the whole signal. Other times it may be fitting to a cubic polynomial and then subtracting the cubic polynomial from the original signal and then taking the Fourier transform of the oscillatory components.

In any case, graphs are easier to understand if care is taken to preserve the proper units on both the horizontal and vertical axes (frequency in Hz and acceleration in m/s/s, for example).

Likes berkeman and donpacino
thank you :)
My last question is about band. My sensor frequency is about 100 Hz
Why do I have to use 0~50 Hz in fft ? Why not to use 0~100 Hz ?

ramesses said:
thank you :)
My last question is about band. My sensor frequency is about 100 Hz
Why do I have to use 0~50 Hz in fft ? Why not to use 0~100 Hz ?

The highest frequency in an fft is 1/2 the sampling frequency.

If your sensor is sensitive to 100 Hz, you can increase your sampling rate to 200-1000 Hz and see higher frequencies.

I have a sampling of 30 minutes with my sensor with 100 Hz. and I want to reduce eliminate signal in [25~100] Hz.
So what I do is :
I apply for each 100 samples a wavelet of second level.
I put 0 in details, and reconstruct the signal.
Now to see the efficiency, what do I need ?
Is the power spectral density useful in my case ?

1. What is the meaning of having a powerful signal near 0Hz?

The presence of a powerful signal near 0Hz indicates the presence of a very low frequency component in the signal. This could mean that the signal has a DC offset or a very slow oscillation, and may require further analysis to determine the exact nature of the signal.

2. Why is a powerful signal near 0Hz significant?

A powerful signal near 0Hz is significant because it can impact the overall shape and characteristics of a signal. It can also affect the interpretation and analysis of the signal, as low frequency components can sometimes be indicative of underlying issues or patterns in the data.

3. How does a powerful signal near 0Hz differ from other frequency components?

A powerful signal near 0Hz differs from other frequency components in that it has the lowest frequency and the longest wavelength. It also tends to have the most energy, as it is often associated with the overall trend or baseline of the signal.

4. Can a powerful signal near 0Hz be filtered out?

Yes, a powerful signal near 0Hz can be filtered out using various signal processing techniques. However, it is important to carefully consider the implications of removing this low frequency component, as it may contain important information or patterns that could be relevant to the analysis.

5. How can a powerful signal near 0Hz impact data analysis?

A powerful signal near 0Hz can impact data analysis in several ways. It can alter the shape and characteristics of the signal, making it more difficult to interpret. It can also introduce noise or artifacts into the data, which can affect the accuracy of the analysis. Additionally, this low frequency component may contain valuable information that could be relevant to the analysis, so it is important to carefully consider its effects before filtering it out.