Voltage Carrier Signal and Voltage Modulating Signal (AM)

In summary, a voltage carrier signal is a periodic signal used to carry information in AM. A voltage modulating signal is used to vary the amplitude of the carrier signal in AM and contains the transmitted information. AM works by varying the amplitude of the carrier signal using the modulating signal. Its advantages include being simple and cost-effective, with a wider range of frequencies, but it is susceptible to noise interference and has a lower signal-to-noise ratio compared to other modulation techniques.
Lord Doppler
Homework Statement
Find the Voltage Carrier Signal and Voltage Modulating Signal (AM) from the power spectrum
Relevant Equations
Pt = Pc(1+(m^2)/2) [Total Power]
m = Vm/Vc [Modulation Factor]
Hello everyone, I'm trying to find the Voltage Carrier Signal and Voltage Modulating Signal from the power spectrum of a AM signal
1618079838182.png

1) I change the scale dBW to W and I have this:

1618079963544.png

From this I have that Pc (Power of the Carrier signal) is 50 W and I don't know how to continue with the exercise, someone knows? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The total power in the sidebands is 2 x 8 = 16 Watts.
Power = V^2 / R
So the modulation voltage relative to the carrier (the modulation factor) is SQRT (16/50).

1. What is a voltage carrier signal?

A voltage carrier signal is a continuous electrical signal that is used to transmit information. It is typically a high frequency signal that is modulated by a lower frequency signal to encode the information being transmitted.

2. What is a voltage modulating signal?

A voltage modulating signal is a lower frequency signal that is used to vary the amplitude of a higher frequency carrier signal. This variation in amplitude carries the information being transmitted.

3. How does amplitude modulation (AM) work?

In AM, the voltage modulating signal is used to vary the amplitude of the carrier signal. This results in the carrier signal having a varying amplitude, which can be detected and decoded to retrieve the original information.

4. What are the advantages of AM over other modulation techniques?

AM is a relatively simple and cost-effective modulation technique. It also has a wide range of applications, including radio broadcasting and long-distance communication.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of AM?

One drawback of AM is that it is susceptible to noise and interference, which can distort the modulated signal and make it difficult to retrieve the original information. Additionally, AM is not very bandwidth-efficient, meaning it requires a larger bandwidth compared to other modulation techniques to transmit the same amount of information.