Meaning of Peskin equation (7.25)

• Thread starter kof9595995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peskin
In summary, Peskin's formal manipulation of the mass-shift equation leads to the same result as an ordinary derivation.
kof9595995
Equation (7.25)
[tex](\displaystyle{\not}p - m)(1 - {\left. {\frac{{d\Sigma }}{{d\displaystyle{\not}p}}} \right|_{\displaystyle{\not}p = m}}) + O({(\displaystyle{\not}p - m)^2})[/tex]
Formally it looks like a Taylor expansion of [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p-m_{0}-\Sigma(\displaystyle{\not}p)[/itex]. However it involves a differentiation of a matrix, and what's worse is, he let's [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p=m[/itex], which is impossible because [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p[/itex] is always off-diagonal(peskin uses weyl representaion), while m is diagonal.
The best I can make of this [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p=m[/itex] is that this is just a formal replacement, but then Taylor expansion loses its meaning of "polynomial approximation around the neighbourhood of a point", since [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p[/itex] can never really approach m.

Physics news on Phys.org
kof9595995 said:
Equation (7.25)
[tex](\displaystyle{\not}p - m)(1 - {\left. {\frac{{d\Sigma }}{{d\displaystyle{\not}p}}} \right|_{\displaystyle{\not}p = m}}) + O({(\displaystyle{\not}p - m)^2})[/tex]
Formally it looks like a Taylor expansion of [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p-m_{0}-\Sigma(\displaystyle{\not}p)[/itex]. However it involves a differentiation of a matrix, and what's worse is, he let's [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p=m[/itex], which is impossible because [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p[/itex] is always off-diagonal(peskin uses weyl representaion), while m is diagonal.
The best I can make of this [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p=m[/itex] is that this is just a formal replacement, but then Taylor expansion loses its meaning of "polynomial approximation around the neighbourhood of a point", since [itex]\displaystyle{\not}p[/itex] can never really approach m.

Isn't it just a matter of writing something like [itex]p\!\!\!\!/ - \xi m[/itex], where [itex]\xi[/itex] is some gamma matrix, and then re-expressing the formulas as a limit as [itex]\xi\to 1[/itex]? I.e., take the limit at the end of the mass-shift calculation?

IOW, find a convenient way to perform the limit as [itex]p^2\to m^2[/itex], which doesn't have gamma matrix headaches.

strangerep said:
Isn't it just a matter of writing something like [itex]p\!\!\!\!/ - \xi m[/itex], where [itex]\xi[/itex] is some gamma matrix, and then re-expressing the formulas as a limit as [itex]\xi\to 1[/itex]? I.e., take the limit at the end of the mass-shift calculation?
Sorry I can't follow you. What's the meaning of [itex]\xi m[/itex], and how can you let [itex]\xi\to 1[/itex] if [itex]\xi [/itex] is always off diagonal(as you said [itex]\xi [/itex] is one of the gamma matrices)

strangerep said:
IOW, find a convenient way to perform the limit as [itex]p^2\to m^2[/itex], which doesn't have gamma matrix headaches.
But I think I am having "gamma matrix headaches" with Peskin's way of doing it.

Ok, I still don't understand strangerep's argument, but now I find a way, though involved, of understanding this. The idea is to prove that Peskin's formal manipulation actually gives the same result with an ordinary derivation:
The goal is to derive the residue at [itex]p^2=m^2[/itex]. Let's start with
[tex]\frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p-m_{0}-\Sigma(\displaystyle{\not}p)}...(*)[/tex]
It's not hard to convince oneself
[tex]\Sigma\equiv f(p^2) \displaystyle{\not} p -g(p^2)m_0...(1)[/tex]
Thus the pole must be at the solution of
[tex]m-m_0- [f(m^2) \displaystyle{\not} p -g(m^2)m_0]=0[/tex]
Tidy up a bit:
[tex][1- f(m^2)]m-[1-g(m^2)]m_0=0...(2)[/tex]Now let's see what peskin's formal manipulation gives us:
Eqn (7.26) in the book:
[tex]Z^{-1}_2=1-\left.\frac{d\Sigma}{d\displaystyle{\not}p}\right|_{\displaystyle{\not}p = m}...(7.26)[/tex]
Sub (1) into (7.26) we get
[tex]Z^{-1}_2=1-[2p^2f'(p^2)+f(p^2)-2m_0\displaystyle{\not}pg'(p^2)]_{\displaystyle{\not}p=m}=1-f(m^2)-2m^2f'(m^2)+2m_0mg'(m^2)...(3)[/tex]
Notice that a rule is to take [itex]p^2=\displaystyle{\not}p\displaystyle{\not}p[/itex]Now let's see what's the ordinary way of getting the residue:
when [itex]p^2\to m^2[/itex], the propagator behaves like
[tex]\frac{Z_2(\displaystyle{\not}p+m)}{p^2- m^2}...(4)[/tex]
So the natural way of solving the problem is to reduce (*) to the form of (4). Sub (1) into (*)
[tex]\frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p-m_{0}-\Sigma(\displaystyle{\not}p)}=\frac{1}{[1-f(p^2)]\displaystyle{\not}p-[1-g(p^2)]m_{0}}=\frac{[1-f(p^2)]\displaystyle{\not}p+[1-g(p^2)]m_{0}}{[1-f(p^2)]^2p^2-[1-g(p^2)]^2m^2_{0}}...(5)[/tex]
When [itex]p^2\to m^2[/itex], the nominator of (5) will be [tex][1-f(m^2)](\displaystyle{\not}p+m)...(6)[/tex], where (2) is used.
The denominator of (5) will of course tend to 0, to get the first order dependence on [itex]p^2- m^2[/itex] we calculate
[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{{p^2} \to {m^2}} \frac{[1-f(p^2)]^2p^2-[1-g(p^2)]^2m^2_{0}}{p^2- m^2}=2m^2[f(m^2)-1]f'(m^2)+[1-f(m^2)]^2-2m^2_0[g(m^2)-1]g'(m^2)
...(7)[/tex]
by L'hospital's rule.
Combine (6) and (7) we conclude
[tex]Z_2=\frac{1-f(m^2)}{2m^2[f(m^2)-1]f'(m^2)+[1-f(m^2)]^2-2m^2_0[g(m^2)-1]g'(m^2)}=\frac{1}{1-f(m^2)-2m^2f'(m^2)+2m_0mg'(m^2)}...(8)[/tex]
where (2) is used again.

And finally we can see (8) is exactly the same with (3). This is a bit tedious and I'm suspecting I've made a big detour to get the conclusion.

kof9595995 said:
Ok, I still don't understand strangerep's argument
Neither do I. :-(

More later...

Let's avoid talking about poles for a moment, and just focus on the Dirac equation:
[tex]
\def\Sp{p\!\!\!\!/}
(i\Sp - m)\psi ~=~ 0 ~=~ (i\Sp - m_0 - \delta m)\psi ~.
[/tex]
The "m" in such an equation is identified with the physical electron mass. (The business about poles only occurs when we take the formal inverse of the operator on the LHS, i.e., a Green's fn, a.k.a. propagator).

Back to P&S...

They find a propagator [eq(7.23)], i.e.,
[tex]
\frac{i}{\Sp -m_0 - \Sigma(p)}
[/tex]
which (in my interpretation) means that
[tex]
\Big(i\Sp - m_0 - \Sigma(p) \Big) \psi ~=~ 0
[/tex]
Since [itex]\Sigma(p)[/itex] is a scalar, it can be written in the form
[tex]
A \Sp + B
[/tex]
where A and B are functions of [itex]m_0[/itex] and [itex]p^2[/itex].
Substituting, we get
[tex]
0 ~=~ \Big(i\Sp - m_0 - i\Sigma(p) \Big) \psi
~=~ (1-A) \Big( \Sp - \frac{m_0+B}{1-A} \Big) \psi
[/tex]
implying (for [itex]A\ne 1[/itex])
[tex]
\Big( \Sp - \frac{m_0+B}{1-A} \Big) \psi ~=~ 0
[/tex]
so we interpret the physical mass to be
[tex]
m ~=~ \frac{m_0 + B}{1-A}
~~~\Rightarrow ~ \delta m = m - m_0 = \frac{A m_0 + B}{1-A}
[/tex]
Now, in the approximation [itex]\Sigma \approx \Sigma_2[/itex], we see that both A and B are proportional to [itex]\alpha[/itex]. [See eq(7.19).] Hence the denominator doesn't contribute if we're only evaluating [itex]\delta m[/itex] to [itex]O(\alpha)[/itex]. Therefore,
[tex]
\delta m ~\approx~ Am_0 + B
[/tex]
which just happens to be [itex]\Sigma(p)[/itex] evaluated by substituting [itex]\Sp\to m_0[/itex].

[Probably, I've screwed up some factors of [itex]i[/itex] in the above.]

I need to think a bit more about how/whether this still works for higher orders in [itex]\alpha[/itex]. It's probably ok because [itex]\Sp[/itex] commutes with everything else in these calculations, and can thus be taken as simply another commutative variables. (There's a whole theory about the calculus of commutative B*-algebras that generalizes ordinary complex analysis, Cauchy integrals, and all that. It probably applies here.)
Maybe I'll say a bit more later.
[Edit: make that "tomorrow". Bedtime now.]

Last edited:

Related to Meaning of Peskin equation (7.25)

1. What is the Peskin equation (7.25)?

The Peskin equation (7.25) is a mathematical equation used in theoretical physics to describe the evolution of a quantum-mechanical system over time. It is specifically used in the context of quantum field theory, which studies the interactions between particles and fields.

2. Who developed the Peskin equation (7.25)?

The Peskin equation (7.25) was developed by physicists Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder in their book "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory." This equation has become a widely used tool in the field of theoretical physics.

3. What is the significance of Peskin equation (7.25)?

The Peskin equation (7.25) is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the interactions between particles and fields, which is essential for studying the fundamental laws of nature.

4. How is the Peskin equation (7.25) used in research?

The Peskin equation (7.25) is used in research to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as particle interactions and quantum processes. It is also used in the development of new theories and models in the field of quantum field theory.

5. What are some applications of the Peskin equation (7.25)?

The Peskin equation (7.25) has many applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of particle physics, quantum electrodynamics, and quantum chromodynamics. It is also used in other fields, such as condensed matter physics, where it helps understand the behavior of superconductors and superfluids.