Meaning of the inertial energy density

In summary, the conversation discusses a model called graduated dark energy (gDE), which assumes that the inertial mass density is proportional to the energy density with a power-law dependence. The authors also define an equation of state parameter and there is confusion about the use of "inertial mass density" in this context. However, an explanation is provided in the article linked.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am reading an article, which talks about graduated dark energy (gDE) model. In this model, it's assumed
that the inertial mass density exhibits power-law dependence to its energy density

$$\rho_{inert} = \gamma\rho_0(\frac{\rho}{\rho_0})^{\lambda}$$

Where ##\gamma## and ##\lambda## are real constant. Authors define an EoS parameter in the form of

$$w = \frac{p}{\rho} = -1 + \frac{\rho_{inert}}{\rho}=-1 + \gamma(\frac{\rho}{\rho_0})^{\lambda-1}$$

At this point, I confused about the "inertial mass density" term. I never heard the use of it in cosmology. What does inertial mass density is proportional to energy density means in this context?

I understand that we are trying to make DE as a time-dependent function but I did not understand why we need a term like "inertial mass density"?

I hope my questions make sense. You can find the article from here. I am talking about the second Equation.

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020PhRvD.101f3528A/abstract

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Okay I find the answer. It was given in the text.

1. What is the meaning of inertial energy density?

The inertial energy density refers to the amount of energy per unit volume that is required to keep an object in motion. It is a measure of the resistance an object has to changes in its state of motion.

2. How is inertial energy density related to mass?

Inertial energy density is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the more massive an object is, the more energy it will require to maintain its motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating inertial energy density?

The formula for calculating inertial energy density is E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How does inertial energy density differ from potential energy density?

Inertial energy density is related to the motion of an object, while potential energy density is related to the position of an object in a gravitational or electric field. Inertial energy density is dependent on the mass and velocity of an object, while potential energy density is dependent on the position and strength of the field.

5. How is inertial energy density used in practical applications?

Inertial energy density is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also used in the design and development of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure they have enough energy to overcome the resistance of inertia.