Meaning of time in the multiverse theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of multiple universes in quantum mechanics and how the many-worlds interpretation (MWI) suggests that all possible outcomes of a quantum event occur in different universes. The question is raised whether it is possible for one universe to appear to be stuck in a looped state or for time to reverse in a particular universe. The conversation also explores the idea of a statistical ensemble and how it relates to the probability of these events occurring. Ultimately, the answer is that yes, there is a non-zero probability for these events to occur in an infinite collection of universes, but it is very small. The conversation also touches on the physical significance of these branches in the MWI.
MysticWizard
TL;DR Summary
Question/Thought experiment about time in the quantum mechanical mutiverse theory
From Wikipedia: Suppose a six-sided die is thrown and that the result of the throw corresponds to quantum mechanics observable. All six possible ways the dice can fall correspond to six different universes. In the case of the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, both outcomes would be "real" in at least one "world".

This statement got me thinking, would it be possible for 1 universe (out of the infinite collection of universes) to be stationary infinitely alternating between state A & B, or using the dice analogy throwing a 1 and a 2 over and over effectively making this universe appear looped in time? Further extrapolating on this, using the quantum xeno effect, would it be possible to be stuck on one outcome not changing unless "something" stops measuring/observing? And last, would it be possible to go "back in time" where all outcomes up till a point occur in reverse order?

I understand that the chances of this happening are very small but if I am not mistaken in an infinite collection of universes not 0

Or did I miss a key property of QM that makes this impossible?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Physics news on Phys.org
MysticWizard said:
..."infinite" collection of universes...

how ?
Sure ?

I don't understand your question at all.

Likes Delta2
MysticWizard said:
Summary: Question/Thought experiment about time in the quantum mechanical mutiverse theory

If I get your gist, is it that you are asking whether the quantum wave function can collapse in the split off universes, where the collapse 'seems real', except but one'? If so, it doesn't really make sense since it is all the possible outcomes of the collapsing wave function that allow the multiple universes to form.
For the die, each throw has six possible outcomes, resulting in six split off universes,
Throwing multiple times produces a 'new' wave function collapse each time.
In your universe you are throwing alternating 1's and 2's, but not in the other 5 split off universes on each throw.

PeroK said:
I don't understand your question at all.

Ok perhaps the following analogy helps getting across what I am struggeling with. What if a quantum state can be thought of a a single frame in a film. Now there is 1 universe where the quantum state keeps collapsing to the same state over and over which would result in a film where time appears to stand still. Or is there some property that makes this analogy flawed?

MysticWizard said:
there is 1 universe where the quantum state keeps collapsing
You appear to be using the many worlds interpretation of QM, since you talk about "multiverse theory"; but in the MWI, there is no collapse of the quantum state.

Likes MysticWizard
PeterDonis said:
You appear to be using the many worlds interpretation of QM, since you talk about "multiverse theory"; but in the MWI, there is no collapse of the quantum state.

I did not realize this! Amazing. I'll have to read up on what this means and what the consequences might be. Thanks for your answer!

Likes Demystifier
MysticWizard said:
Ok perhaps the following analogy helps getting across what I am struggeling with. What if a quantum state can be thought of a a single frame in a film. Now there is 1 universe where the quantum state keeps collapsing to the same state over and over which would result in a film where time appears to stand still. Or is there some property that makes this analogy flawed?
QM is probabilistic. Take, for example, radioactive decay. Each atom decays probabilistically. But, because of the huge number of atoms, and the law of large numbers, the overall process becomes predicable and reliable. And we have predicable carbon dating, for example.

This seems to be a conundrum for some people who cannot reconcile individual atomic probabilities with the predictability of the macroscopic process.

Likes MysticWizard and malawi_glenn
PS if you take MWI literally, then there are branches of the universal wavefunction where radioactive decay has never taken place! But, these branches have such a vanishingly small probability that I'm dubious of their physical significance.

Likes MysticWizard
Moderator's note: Thread moved to the QM interpretations forum since the OP is basing their question on the MWI.

PeroK said:
these branches have such a vanishingly small probability that I'm dubious of their physical significance.
According to the MWI the "weight" of a branch does not matter as far as its physical significance: every branch "exists" regardless of its weight. Doubting the physical significance of branches with very small weights means doubting the MWI: but of course there are also many other reasons why people doubt the MWI. :wink:

Likes gentzen and MysticWizard
MysticWizard said:
Summary: Question/Thought experiment about time in the quantum mechanical mutiverse theory

This statement got me thinking, would it be possible for 1 universe (out of the infinite collection of universes) to be stationary infinitely alternating between state A & B, or using the dice analogy throwing a 1 and a 2 over and over effectively making this universe appear looped in time? Further extrapolating on this, using the quantum xeno effect, would it be possible to be stuck on one outcome not changing unless "something" stops measuring/observing? And last, would it be possible to go "back in time" where all outcomes up till a point occur in reverse order?

I understand that the chances of this happening are very small but if I am not mistaken in an infinite collection of universes not 0

Thanks in advance for your insights!
I think your question makes much more sense if you replace the word "multiverse" with the word "statistical ensemble". The statistical ensemble is just a tool for thinking about probability, so your question is really: Is there a non-zero probability, no matter how small, that such things happen? A short answer is: Yes!

Likes MysticWizard
PeterDonis said:
According to the MWI the "weight" of a branch does not matter as far as its physical significance: every branch "exists" regardless of its weight. Doubting the physical significance of branches with very small weights means doubting the MWI: but of course there are also many other reasons why people doubt the MWI. :wink:
If these branches were physically significant, then the statistically based laws of QM would not be reliable. That's what I take physical significance to mean.

We don't have to consider the possibility that radioactive decay suddenly stops taking place - even in a single specific case. Not to mention microelectronics relying on electron tunnelling etc.

PeroK said:
If these branches were physically significant, then the statistically based laws of QM would not be reliable.
Why not? "Physically significant" is a much wider category than "significant for the set of observations that humans have actually made or could make now or in the foreseeable future".

MysticWizard said:
Question/Thought MULTIVERSE THEORY
This statement got me thinking, would it be possible for 1 universe (out of the INFINITE collection of universes)

there is not an INFINITE collection of universes
in a MULTIVERSE MODEL.

How many universes are in the multiverse?

Andrei Linde, Vitaly Vanchurin.
https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0910/0910.1589v1.pdf

"We argue that the total number of distinguishable locally Friedmann universes generated by eternal inflation is proportional to the exponent of the entropy of inflationary perturbations and is limited by e^{e^{3 N}}, where N is the number of e-folds of slow-roll post-eternal inflation. For simplest models of chaotic inflation, N is approximately equal to de Sitter entropy at the end of eternal inflation; it can be exponentially large."

10^10^10^7

in any case not infinite

1. What is the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory is a scientific hypothesis that suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. It proposes that our universe is just one of many, and that there may be an infinite number of universes beyond our own.

2. How does the multiverse theory relate to the meaning of time?

According to the multiverse theory, time may have different meanings and behave differently in each parallel universe. This means that the concept of time may not be universal and may vary across different universes within the multiverse.

3. Does the multiverse theory affect our perception of time?

The multiverse theory does not directly affect our perception of time in our own universe. However, it suggests that time may be experienced differently in other universes, which can challenge our understanding of time as a linear and universal concept.

4. Can time travel be possible in the multiverse?

The multiverse theory does not necessarily support the idea of time travel. While it suggests the existence of multiple universes, it does not provide evidence or mechanisms for traveling between them. However, some interpretations of the theory propose the concept of "braneworlds" where time travel may be possible.

5. How does the multiverse theory impact our understanding of the past, present, and future?

The multiverse theory challenges the traditional view of time as a linear progression from past to present to future. It suggests that all possible past, present, and future events may exist simultaneously in different universes within the multiverse. This means that the concept of time may be more complex and multidimensional than we currently understand.