Measure angular velocity and acceleration from missing tooth wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a math model for a digital ignition system and how to calculate the necessary measurements of angular velocity and acceleration. It is suggested to use a 36-1 wheel and measure the period of each tooth, subtracting to find the acceleration. The idea of using multiple periods to improve accuracy is also mentioned.
nick26
Hi,
I need to come up with a math model for a digital ignition system. I've been thinking about it and I think that I need to measure 2 things to be able to calculate when I have to start charging the coil. They are the angular velocity and the acceleration but how can I do it? the idea is to use a 36-1 wheel and then measure each tooth periods. If I subtract the period of two teeth will that give me the acceleration?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Subtracting the period of two teeth will give the difference of the periods of these two teeth.

You will need at least two tooth periods, that is measure the period of the same tooth two consecutive times. The average angular speeds for the two periods are ##\bar \omega_1=\dfrac{2\pi}{T_1}## and ##\bar \omega_2=\dfrac{2\pi}{T_2}##.

Assuming constant angular acceleration (you need to convince yourself that this is the case in your system - see below how), the instantaneous angular speed is equal to the average at the half-time mark. In other words,

##\omega_1=\dfrac{2\pi}{T_1}## at ##t_1=\dfrac{T_1}{2}##
and
##\omega_2=\dfrac{2\pi}{T_2}## at ##t_2=T_1+\dfrac{T_2}{2}##.

Then the angular acceleration will be given by ##\alpha=\dfrac{\omega_2-\omega_1}{t_2-t_1}.##

If you can collect many successive periods, say 10 or so, then you will improve your accuracy because you will be able to plot the ##\omega_i## points vs. the ##t_i## points. You should get a straight line with a slope equal to the angular acceleration. If the line is not straight, then the angular acceleration is not constant.

1. What is a missing tooth wheel and how does it measure angular velocity and acceleration?

A missing tooth wheel is a type of gear with one or more teeth missing, creating a gap in the wheel. As the wheel rotates, the gap passes by a sensor that can detect the change in magnetic field, allowing for the measurement of angular velocity and acceleration.

2. What are the advantages of using a missing tooth wheel to measure angular velocity and acceleration?

Missing tooth wheels are simple and cost-effective compared to other methods of measuring angular velocity and acceleration. They also have a high accuracy and can be used in a variety of applications.

3. How does the sensor detect the missing teeth on the wheel?

The sensor uses a Hall effect sensor or a magnetic encoder to detect the change in magnetic field as the gap in the wheel passes by. This change in magnetic field is then converted into an electrical signal that can be used to measure the angular velocity and acceleration.

4. Are there any limitations to using a missing tooth wheel for measuring angular velocity and acceleration?

One limitation of using a missing tooth wheel is that it may not be suitable for high-speed applications, as the sensor may not be able to detect the missing teeth accurately. Additionally, any dirt or debris on the wheel can interfere with the sensor's readings.

5. How can the data from a missing tooth wheel be analyzed and used in scientific research?

The data collected from a missing tooth wheel can be analyzed using mathematical equations to calculate the angular velocity and acceleration of the rotating object. This data can be used in various fields of science, such as robotics, automotive engineering, and biomechanics, to understand the motion and dynamics of a system.