Measure theory and Cantor function

In summary: The function h(x)/2 is continuous, strictly increasing, and maps a set of positive measure (O) onto a set of measure zero (C).In summary, the conversation discusses finding a continuous, strictly increasing function on the interval [0,1] that maps a set of positive measure onto a set of measure zero. The Cantor function is suggested but it is not strictly monotone increasing. The solution is to modify the Cantor function into a function from [0,1] to [0,2] by adding x, resulting in a function h(x) = C(x) + x. This function is then divided by 2 to get the desired function, f(x) = h(x)/2, which is continuous
sbashrawi

Homework Statement

Show that there is a continuous , strictly increasing function on the interval [0, 1] that maps a set of positive measure onto a set of measure zero

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find a mapping to a countable set or cantor set but I couldn't construct such function

Physics news on Phys.org
TRY the Cantor function. Why doesn't it work? What might you do to modify it?

Cantor function is amapping from [0,1] onto [0,1] , I need a restriction so that its image has measure zero. But it is seemed to me that its image is countable am I right?

sbashrawi said:
Cantor function is amapping from [0,1] onto [0,1] , I need a restriction so that its image has measure zero. But it is seemed to me that its image is countable am I right?

It's image is [0,1]. That's not countable. Nor does it have measure zero. But those aren't the things you need. If C(x) is the Cantor function, it's not strictly monotone increasing, is it? Can you tell me why not? There's an easy way to modify it into a function from [0,1] to [0,2] that is strictly monotone increasing.

We have the function : h(x) = C(x) + x , where C(x) is the cantor function, the function h(x) is increasing function from [0,1] onto [0,2].
[0,1] = C union O : c = cantor set , O its complement.
m( C) = 0 , m(O) = 1 .
how can I modify this to get the required function?

sbashrawi said:
We have the function : h(x) = C(x) + x , where C(x) is the cantor function, the function h(x) is increasing function from [0,1] onto [0,2].
[0,1] = C union O : c = cantor set , O its complement.
m( C) = 0 , m(O) = 1 .
how can I modify this to get the required function?

That's already (almost) the function you want. m([0,2])=2. What are m(h(O)) and m(h(C))?

m( h(O)) = 1 and m(h(c))= 1 .
I think we can use the inverse function of h . it is contniuous , increasing
and hinv: [0,2] to [0,1]
and h inv(h(c)) = c which has measure zero i.e it maps a set with positive measure to a set of measure zero as required.

let f(x) = h(x) / 2 we get the required function: f: [0,1] to [0,1]

sbashrawi said:
m( h(O)) = 1 and m(h(c))= 1 .
I think we can use the inverse function of h . it is contniuous , increasing
and hinv: [0,2] to [0,1]
and h inv(h(c)) = c which has measure zero i.e it maps a set with positive measure to a set of measure zero as required.

let f(x) = h(x) / 2 we get the required function: f: [0,1] to [0,1]

That's it.

1. What is measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of measures, which are mathematical functions that assign a numerical value to a set. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and analyzing concepts such as length, area, and volume. It is commonly used in fields such as probability, statistics, and analysis.

2. What is the Cantor function?

The Cantor function, also known as the Cantor-Lebesgue function, is a continuous, non-decreasing function that maps the unit interval [0,1] onto the entire interval [0,1]. It is constructed by deleting the middle third of each interval successively, resulting in a function that is constant on the removed intervals and linearly increasing on the remaining intervals.

3. What is the importance of the Cantor function in measure theory?

The Cantor function is an important example in measure theory as it is a counterexample to several intuitive properties of continuous functions. It is not differentiable at any point, yet its derivative is equal to zero almost everywhere. It also has a Lebesgue integral of zero, but is not identically equal to zero. Its properties make it a useful tool for understanding and illustrating concepts in measure theory.

4. How is the Cantor function related to the Cantor set?

The Cantor function is closely related to the Cantor set, which is a classic example of a fractal in mathematics. The Cantor set is constructed by repeatedly removing the middle third of a line segment, resulting in a set that is uncountable but has measure zero. The Cantor function is constant on the complement of the Cantor set and linearly increasing on the Cantor set, making it a useful tool for studying the properties of the Cantor set.

5. How is the Cantor function used in real-world applications?

The Cantor function has applications in various fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. In finance, it is used to model the behavior of stock prices and interest rates. In physics, it is used to describe the behavior of fractal distributions. In computer science, it is used in image compression algorithms and in generating random numbers. Its properties and examples have also inspired research in other areas such as chaos theory and number theory.