Measuring a Coil of Wire With Ohmmeter and Balance

In summary: Just go back and check the units you are using, should they be cm or m, and ensure they match, throughout the calculations. You are close to a solution now.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the diameter and length of a coil of fine copper wire given its resistance and mass. The wire is modeled as a long cylinder, and equations are used to relate its mass, resistance, and other properties. The final solution requires two equations and careful consideration of units to ensure compatibility.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

A coil of fine copper wire has a resistance of 6.2 -Ω and a total mass is 14.4 g. What is the diameter d of the wire and what is its length L? (The density of copper is 8.96 g/cm3.)
Hint Given: •Model the wire as a long cylinder of diameter d and length L. Write one relation for its mass, another for its resistance--from these two relations, you can determine the two desired quantities.

Homework Equations

R=p*L/A where R = Resistance, p = resistivity coefficient, L = length, A = Area

In this case resistivity coefficient of copper is given as p = 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation R=p*L/A I know the value of R is 6.2 Ohms and the value of p is 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m
I know that to find the diameter and length of the cylinder, I need to find the Area.
To find the area, my method is: p/R * L = A
But I only know p and R, so I'm not sure how to solve for the length and the area.
Would I just use v = m/d where v = volume and m/d = mass/density ?
If I do that:
(14.4g)/(8.96g/cm^3) = 1.607142 (volume)
What do I do once I get the volume? Do I convert the volume measurements since they're in cm^3?

Maybe this is more of a math question but I'm just stuck at that part so I would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, just a math problem: two unknowns need two equations before you can solve them.
One equation gives you A/L = k or A=kL (from resistance) and the other gives you AL = v because Area x Length =Volume.
You can combine the two equations to eliminate either A or L, then solve for the other. Then use the value you find, put into either equation and solve for the other.

You need to be careful because,
1- you are mixing units (m and cm): resistivity is given in Ohm metres and density in grammes per cubic centimetre. Maybe you should decide what units to work in and convert the constants? Otherwise be careful!
2- you wrote, "the value of p is 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m" but the units of resistivity are Ohm metres not Ohms per metre

Maths example:
If you know P= 5 Q and P x Q = 10
then you can use the first in the second to say
5 Q x Q = 10 so
5 Q2 = 10 so
Q2 = 2 so
Q = sqrt(2) = 1.414 and
P = 5 Q = 5 x 1.414 = 7.07
Check P x Q = 7.07 x 1.414 = 9.996 = 10 to 3sf

So if I do this:

(1.68*10^-8) = L/A
and multiply both sides by A then
A(1.68*10^-8)=L

then substitute that into the AL=V

A(A*1.68*10^-8A)=1.6071 (calculated volume from given density and mass)
and calculating for A, I get
A=457.346

?

Originally you said,
Using the equation R=p*L/A I know the value of R is 6.2 Ohms and the value of p is 1.68*10^-8 Ohms/m
So your work now,
So if I do this: (1.68*10^-8) = L/A
does not look quite right, does it?
You should have
R = (p*L)/A so 6.2 = ( 1.68^-8 * L) / A etc

then substitute that into the AL=V
yes, provided you are sure the units are compatible.

Finally,
and calculating for A, I get A=457.346 ?
well the ? is appropriate, because you have not given any units!
But it was wrong because of the first mistake and you did well to realize it could not be correct.

I think you are nearly there now.

What is the purpose of measuring a coil of wire with an ohmmeter and balance?

The purpose of measuring a coil of wire with an ohmmeter and balance is to determine the resistance and weight of the wire. This information is important in various scientific and engineering applications, such as designing circuits and calculating load capacities.

What is an ohmmeter and how does it work?

An ohmmeter is a device used to measure the electrical resistance of a material. It works by passing a small electrical current through the wire and measuring the voltage drop across it. The resistance is then calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I).

What is a balance and how is it used in measuring a coil of wire?

A balance is a tool used to measure the weight of an object. In measuring a coil of wire, the balance is used to weigh the wire and determine its mass. This information, along with the resistance measured by the ohmmeter, can be used to calculate the wire's density and other physical properties.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the measurement?

The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by various factors, such as the quality and calibration of the ohmmeter and balance, the temperature of the wire, and the presence of any external magnetic fields. It is important to ensure that all equipment is properly calibrated and that the wire is at a constant temperature for the most accurate measurement.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using an ohmmeter and balance?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using an ohmmeter and balance. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, as the wire may have sharp edges. Also, be sure to handle the wire and equipment with care to avoid any accidents or damage.