Measuring distance to a galaxy using natural H20 laser

In summary, the Astronomy Picture of the Day discusses a method for determining the distance to a galaxy using maser emission from supermassive black holes. This method involves measuring orbital velocities and accelerations of the masers, which allows for a direct "geometric" measurement of the galaxy's distance. This method is considered more accurate than traditional methods, such as measuring Cepheid light curves. The terms "maser" and "laser" were both invented as analogies to each other.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Today's Astronomy Picture of the Day discusses a method for determining the distance to a galaxy that I
had not seen before.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170707.html
For a far away galaxy, the distance to M106 is well-known in part because it can be directly measured by tracking this galaxy's remarkable maser, or microwave laser emission.​
I tried to find some references to this method by searching the Internet, but all I could find was
and this was not useful.

I would much appreciate some help in locating a reference that explains in detail how this distance method works.

ADDED
I found another source that gave a bit more information about the method but without the detail I am seeking.
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/research/rg/extragalactic-distance-scale
Supermassive black holes are now thought to lie at the centers of many if not all galaxies. Under the right conditions, X-ray emission from hot gas very close to the black holes can stimulate water molecules further out to emit maser (i.e., microwave laser-like) emission. The emission lines from these maser regions are so sharp and strong, and the angles measurable by very long baseline interferometry so exquisitely small (milliarcseconds) that it is possible to measure maser orbital velocities to within a fraction of a parsec of the black hole, just a few tens of thousands of Schwardschild radii. Further, these masers are orbiting so rapidly (~1000 km/s) that after a few years it is possible to measure quite readily orbital accelerations. These measurements can be used to obtain very direct "geometric" distances for their host galaxies, free of the specific systematic and calibration errors that occur in the conventional "distance ladder" methods for determining extragalactic distances (e.g., measurement of Cepheid light curves). Combination of maser and traditional techniques has provided the best estimate of the distance scale to date.​

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Historical note: The term maser was invented before there were lasers. The term laser was invented as an analogy to maser.

Likes Buzz Bloom
mathman said:
Historical note: The term maser was invented before there were lasers. The term laser was invented as an analogy to maser.

well specifically they are two separate things

MASER = Microwave Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation

LASER = Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. How does the natural H20 laser work in measuring distance to a galaxy?

The natural H20 laser is created when water molecules in interstellar space are excited by ultraviolet radiation from nearby stars. This results in the emission of a laser-like beam of light, which can be used to measure the distance to a galaxy by analyzing its intensity and frequency.

2. How accurate is measuring distance to a galaxy using natural H20 laser?

The accuracy of this method depends on the sensitivity and precision of the instruments used to detect and measure the natural H20 laser. With advanced telescopes and spectroscopic techniques, this method can provide distance measurements with an accuracy of within a few hundred light years.

3. Are there any limitations to measuring distance to a galaxy using natural H20 laser?

One limitation is that this method can only be used for galaxies that are relatively close to us, within a few hundred million light years. Additionally, the natural H20 laser may not be detectable in all galaxies, making it difficult to use for distance measurement.

4. How does measuring distance using natural H20 laser compare to other methods?

Measuring distance to a galaxy using natural H20 laser is one of several methods used by scientists, including redshift and cepheid variable stars. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and they are often used in combination to provide more accurate distance measurements.

5. What other information can be gathered from measuring distance to a galaxy using natural H20 laser?

In addition to distance, analyzing the natural H20 laser can also provide information about the chemical composition and physical conditions of the interstellar medium in the galaxy. This can help scientists better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies.